Adjusting front ride height

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hello again everyone and good morning!

While I wait for the Maximum MotorSports front (forward offset) LCA’s to arrive, I thought I would like to lower the front just a tad more “while I’m there” putting them in and have easy access.
I have the Bilstein B6 HD shocks up front (and matching rears, fwiw) but I’m unsure which way to crank them to lower?? Or if they’re even adjustable?? If they are adjustable, I’ll need to find or borrow the adjustment tool, too. Gotta be here somewhere in my shed :)

The rear sat a little high for my liking. I measured it at roughly 3 1/2” above the tire to bottom of the center of the wheel well. I brought that down, splitting the difference via loosening out the big Allan-nut bottom side of the LCA. Easy enough. So now I want to do proportionately the same up front so it sets how I want it.

Tillerman77

Reaction score
Hello again everyone and good morning!

While I wait for the Maximum MotorSports front (forward offset) LCA’s to arrive, I thought I would like to lower the front just a tad more “while I’m there” putting them in and have easy access.
I have the Bilstein B6 HD shocks up front (and matching rears, fwiw) but I’m unsure which way to crank them to lower?? Or if they’re even adjustable?? If they are adjustable, I’ll need to find or borrow the adjustment tool, too. Gotta be here somewhere in my shed :)

The rear sat a little high for my liking. I measured it at roughly 3 1/2” above the tire to bottom of the center of the wheel well. I brought that down, splitting the difference via loosening out the big Allan-nut bottom side of the LCA. Easy enough. So now I want to do proportionately the same up front so it sets how I want it.
The Bilstein struts and shocks are not user adjustable. If you have coil overs, then you could make a height adjustment. Actually, adjustable struts and shocks (e.g. Koni) do not affect ride height when they are "adjusted", only compression and rebound if they are double adjustable.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The Bilstein struts and shocks are not user adjustable. If you have coil overs, then you could make a height adjustment. Actually, adjustable struts and shocks (e.g. Koni) do not affect ride height when they are "adjusted", only compression and rebound if they are double adjustable.
OK, good to know. So, I'm stuck with the ride height in front. Which isn't intolerable, I just wanted to lower it proportionately (and have as bit of rake) along with the rear. No biggy since they're pretty much level now...and I can certainly live with that!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You can just pull the isolators out.
Nah, not a fan of that. Prefer to leave them in. They're pretty darn thin anyways. Negligible affect I'd think. But thx!

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I have the isos out on the front of my GT. Ride is perfect and no NVH. It lowered me down about 1/2" but I went from poly isos to none. Zero difference in NVH and ride quality when i did it.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have the isos out on the front of my GT. Ride is perfect and no NVH. It lowered me down about 1/2" but I went from poly isos to none. Zero difference in NVH and ride quality when i did it.
Huh. Wouldn’t have expected that. They seem so thin to begin with. I wouldn’t think they displace 1/2”. Maybe I’ll try removing them and see?

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Well, you’ll gain less with an old rubber isolator. Policy isolators don’t give as much as the rubber ones, hence why I gained so much.

Crushed OE rubber? Maybe 1/4” if that?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you take the isolators out just do a couple wraps of electrical tape on the spring perches and it will reduce noise without the height the iso's add

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ok, got it everyone..... THANKS! I'll get a round tuit!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the people I know that have used the tape method have never complained about noise after, but you would be surprised how much of a difference taking them out makes.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
On it… will do that when the MM LCA’s arrive in a week (?) or so. Also do the TI chip same time. I’m getting excited for these next couple of steps ++

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online