Both my babies.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Two beauties! So clean, too. Description of both, maybe??
Cheers.

OP
OP
JPuehl

JPuehl

Reaction score
Here’s a bit of information about my 2 babies. The blue car is a 2012 BMW 135i, which has the single twin scroll turbo charged 3.0 inline 6 cylinder, it also has a DCT (double clutch transmission). I’ve had this car for about 7 ½ years and with my hobby being auto-cross it’s been a great car. Unfortunately, it’s evolved from its OEM mild 300 rwhp 300 ftlb torque, to recently dyno’ing at 511 rwhp and 500+ ftlb torque, that I still auto-cross. Soon I’ll be upgrading the turbo with a goal of 600 rwhp.

The Mustang is 2001 Cobra. I’m what I refer to as an “old school V8 guy”, specifically Pontiacs, having had GTOs as street cars and Firebirds as drag schools. I’ve always loved the pony car “recipe”: sport coupe, front engine, rwd, long hood and short trunk. I’ve always thought of the 135 as a German pony car since it’s basically the same “recipe”. For the past few years I’ve been wanting a V8 car with a manual transmission and have always like the fox body Mustangs, but my favorite car since I was about 10 has been (and still is) a Corvette, so I started looking at C6 Z06 Corvettes as a new “dual purpose” car, something I could DD and track/auto-cross. My wife being a sensible one about this 1 decision, convinced me that a Corvette wouldn’t be a “reasonable” DD car, so I start looking for a SN95 Mustang since that’s the Mustang she liked. I ended up finding the Cobra at a Ford dealer not to far north from where I live and it was marketed as “rare”. I started doing some research and it turned out to be low production, so I felt “rare” was somewhat legit. Did a bunch of reading about the car, made contact with an salerep and went to look at the car. Looked at the car and noticed it was really clean and sitting inside the used car showroom. The more I looked at it the more upgraded/aftermarket parts I noticed it had: drilled/slotted brake rotors, aftermarket intake, BAMA tuner, BBK headers, caster/camber plates, Borla exhaust. It was loud and drove well, so I bought it. Got it home and really went over the car and found it also has an aluminum driveshaft, new Eibach prokit springs and Bilstein shocks, BBK catted H pipe, 3.73 diff gears. So I thought to myself that I went from only wanting a manual transmission GT to Cobra with a lot of parts I would have upgraded to make it a dual purpose car anyway, score one for me.

My BMW took 7 years to evolve to the point it’s at today but for some reason I want the Cobra “done” like now. I don’t plan to take the motor as far as I did the BMW but in the end I think the Cobra will beat the BMW on the same course, same day, same driver, partially because the BMW is limited in the width of tire I can run without widening the fenders. The Cobra and 135 are dimensionally so close the fact I can put a wider tire on the Cobra will probably be the biggest advantage it has, and It’s just new-to-me so I’ll be learning a new car.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Wow! Thank you. I never knew that BMW was loaded with that badass of an engine! Nice.

OP
OP
JPuehl

JPuehl

Reaction score
Yeah it's an awesome little car. And dimensionally very close to the Cobra. The Cobra has a slightly shorter wheelbase (by maybe an inch), slightly wider track width, is slightly longer (probably because of the Mustangs overhang), same curb weight and slightly shorter height and the 50/50 is almost the same. The biggest tire you can fit on this BMW up front however is a 255, the '03/'04 came with 275 from the factory so even if I only ran a 275 I have more rubber than the BMW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online