4.6 engine whine

92wastheyear

Reaction score
This is a super lame question, but I'm going to ask anyway. I have had this 96 GT Convertible for a couple of years. It is a totally stock setup, including a very quiet stock exhaust. Whenever I'm driving it with the top down, I can hear a slight whine from the engine ( I think). It is easily drowned out by the exhaust when I get on it. When the top is up, I can't hear it (to give you an idea of how loud it actually is). For those with stock exhaust, is that normal, or should I start trying to hunt it down before it decides to get worse?

Thanks in advance

PS...it hasn't gotten any worse or louder since I have had the car

PPS it has about 85k on the clock

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Im going to ask you for a video on this with sound
So I can tell what's making noise
Youtube is one way that will be clear sound and vid

OP
OP

92wastheyear

Reaction score
Typical problem. Video won't pick up the sound (I have tried).

If, you were here, how would you go about testing it?
It sounds a bit like a supercharger with the volume (sound) down very low. I don't hear anything at idle. I haven't noticed it when revving in neutral or in gear (with clutch depressed). It seems to stay there when I am shifting. Most noticeable when leaving a stop light up to about 2500-3000 rpm. I don't think it actually stops then, but merely gets over-powered by the sound of the exhaust.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Is the noise out side the car under
Look under hood make sure all is secure
All pulleys make noise check
Wheels the brakes the pads bearings ect
Lots of moving parts
These types of noises are hard to find
I used to test drive a lot vehicles for noises

OP
OP

92wastheyear

Reaction score
I will be driving it around tomorrow. I will see if I can narrow it down. I have never been able to tell if it is coming from under the hood or some other part of the drive train.

Miltoid

Reaction score
If you can't hear it in neutral it's probably not coming from the engine. Drive the car and accelerate and decelerate in gear. Does the pitch change? If so it could be the differential. Push in the clutch while driving. Can you still hear the noise? If so it could be something as simple as tire noise. In any case I would continue to drive it to see if it gets worse before I got crazy about repairs.

OP
OP

92wastheyear

Reaction score
I drove it again today. Let me give you all a better description of when I hear it. Nothing at idle in or out of gear. When I rev it a little in the driveway I can begin to hear it, if the radio is off (barely audible), but I get it louder and higher pitch while under a little bit of load. Clutch in and it slows down with the engine rpms.

That pretty much has to be engine related. Tensioner, pulleys, alt, PS pump, something. I am eliminating the AC, due to the noise not changing when on/off etc. Alternator is changing well. 14v

Miltoid

Reaction score
You know you can get outside and rev the engine by hand. Get a Harbor Freight stethoscope and listen to the various components.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Take the belt off and run it briefly to rule out the pulleys. If it’s not a pulley it could be the throw out bearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jd96gt

Members online