5.4 4v gt swap

dannyboy1999

Reaction score
Need help finding what torque converter to run on my 2002 mustang with a 5.4 4v swap with these cams and recommendations on converter and what cams to run FYI the heads are from 2001 cobra 4v 1000001252.jpg

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The 5.4l torque off idle is very impressive! This monster torque will be what youll want as a great driving car. If you intend to drive the car for any amount of distance, a normal stall converter will be what you want. If your plans are to be on a starting line straight off a trailer, bouncing off a 2 step limiter more than driving stop light to stop light, youll want a stall.

Cams will not affect drivability with the 5.4l torque.

OP
OP
D

dannyboy1999

Reaction score
The 5.4l torque off idle is very impressive! This monster torque will be what youll want as a great driving car. If you intend to drive the car for any amount of distance, a normal stall converter will be what you want. If your plans are to be on a starting line straight off a trailer, bouncing off a 2 step limiter more than driving stop light to stop light, youll want a stall.

Cams will not affect drivability with the 5.4l torque.
So use my stock converter ?

OP
OP
D

dannyboy1999

Reaction score
How much hp can these pistons and rods handle in stock form ? And any recommendations on what cams i should run

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Stock rods and pistons have been known to handle any naturally aspirated power levels. I have noticed differences in rod design and color of material with the later production and wonder if the chemistry mimic newer style 4.6l rods and coyote rods. We use to here about midbeam rod fails with the early stock rod 5.4l, but as the years pass on this has become less, so there might be a correlation. The 3v 5.4l rod design may have evolved just like the 4.6l rods did. There just isnt any confirmation info available.

The pistons are just as fragile as any other hypoeutectic pistons to detonation. Just make sure you get a good dyno tune.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melkio

Members online