Do I need all 4 cats on my 95?

Bruce802

Reaction score
Hello All. New to the forum. Just bought a 95 Cobra and loving the hell out of it. Just found out 2 of the 4 cats have the substrate broken up inside. They are the 2 rear ones. Just ended up getting some high flow cats to replace them. My question is, can I remove the front ones without getting any codes?

Thank you for any replies.

Bruce

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you’re here in Commiefornia, yes you need all 4. But then Gov. Deushbag Newsome will probably tax you on that too for having 4.

Last edited:

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you are in Florida, you need zero of them. And I recommend running zero!!

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
if you live in texas there will be no more state inspections
by 2025 no more check engine light inspection
Abbott signed that bill
id be unhooking shit like crazy

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
Hello from South Carolina and welcome to the forum. I lived in Massachusetts for 8 years in the 70s and early 80s. I did not get any codes when I ditched my factory H-pipe. Not sure about exemptions to smog regs up there but if you can get rid of them and stay on the good side of the air police then I say ditch 'em.

OP
OP
Bruce802

Bruce802

Reaction score
So if I eliminate the cats, what do I do with the O2 sensors?

OP
OP
Bruce802

Bruce802

Reaction score
When you say “leave them in” do you mean tie the up? If you take out the cats there is nothing for them to screw into. Am I missing something?

cntinuum

Reaction score
The front O2 sensors tell the ECM the mixture of the exhaust gas. The sensors after the cats see if the cats are doing there job. The front ones need to be there for fuel management.

Slice

Reaction score
I'm in Ontario Canada. I bought my 1996 GT without any cats. Just an x-pipe straight back to flowmasters. Sounds great and no warning lights or runnability issues.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I live in MA.

No more emissions testing, but cats are required per visual inspection.

They changed inspections a few years back to where everything is on camera and BIG fines for shops if they pass cars they shouldn't. Too many shops were just passing everyone and everything. If you know a guy, you can sometimes get them to ignore the lack of cats, but if you are a stranger to them and show up, most will send you packing for showing up with a car with no cats. Some repair shops won't even do a brake job on a car without cats. They get very nervous about getting fined, so if you take your car placed to get worked on, something to think about.

The state troopers can also be ball-busters with regards to excessively loud cars (if you live close to metro Boston. You might be OK outside of 495). It ends up being a hassle which is why I have high-flow cats on my Foxbody. I'm too old to be bothered with that stuff.

No code will be generated on the 87-95 cars, and it's perfectly fine to run 2 cats. I have a Bassani catted X-pipe on my car.

Last edited:

95opal

Reaction score
Hello All. New to the forum. Just bought a 95 Cobra and loving the hell out of it. Just found out 2 of the 4 cats have the substrate broken up inside. They are the 2 rear ones. Just ended up getting some high flow cats to replace them. My question is, can I remove the front ones without getting any codes?

Thank you for any replies.

Bruce

High flow gets as in weld in? It be much easier although more money to buy a H or X pipe. If your set on keeping what you already bought. I would cut the front cats out and put in your high flow cats. Then cut the broken rear cats out and replace with straight tubing. If you need to move the 02 sensors you can buy a couple of bungs and weld them were you need.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jd96gt

Members online