Finally got the Cobra to the dyno.....

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Well i finally took the Cobra for a dyno tune and things definitely could have gone better. Left the house at 5:30am last Friday and drove three hours to the place in PA. He got the car right on the dyno but then didn't touch the car for 2 hours while he was on the phone talking to the guy here in NY who i didn't want to tune my car to figure out how to use his other software with my SCT chip. So anyways long story short he was having a ton of software problems and after being there 9 hours I left with 1/3 of a tune. For whatever reason the data logging wasn't working after 3500rpm so he obviously didn't know what to change to make improvements.

After the car was sitting for a while he was getting intake air temps a little over 200 degrees, after letting the car idle for a while the temps dropped to mid 180s. The KB is pushing 9psi which is about what KB said so I was happy about that. I was also happy to see all the work I did to the car went off without a hitch, unfortunately the dynoing didn't go better.

I never got any full pulls but the best numbers I remember were as follows:

300whp @ 3400rpm
340wtq @ 2900rpm

Obviously I was hoping to share the finished numbers but maybe I'll get that next time around; whenever that will be. The guy said it was making good power but just couldn't get any full pulls in because his software was shitting the bed. I got a few pics but no vids, I was waiting for a "good" dyno pull to take a vid and since I never got one I ended up without any vids. Honestly though the car sounded like an absolute animal...

6e5a8e88.jpg

2626a46f.jpg

1d8f83eb.jpg

got5.0

Reaction score
nice! My dad's car made like 290 with 11 psi, heat soaked, a bad maf, and spark blowing out... What maf are you using and what ignition setup? I'll have more questions later lol thanks.

snoball

Reaction score
Well a bad maf, no spark and heatsoak would essentially kill numbers. Kind of makes sense. But 290 is freaking weak. My tfs 1 cam/cobra intake untuned pile of crap made 240hp. granted your dad's car made more torque. Sounds like he needs to fix it asap and find a new tuner.

to the original op: finish that tune and it should made in my opinion mid 300s. Sounds like you have a good setup going.

5.0kid

Reaction score
still decent numbers though! anyone should be proud of over 300 rwhp! :thumbsup:

FMSGTS

Reaction score
The shop looks like Powerhouse in Girard, Pa. ?? If so, his like all other Mustang Dyno's are a little on the low side. My car put 260 rwhp a few years ago and went 12.70's @ 106. .. Now I put 374 to the rear wheels and run 11.70's @ 116. ..

got5.0

Reaction score
hey Onyx, you give us an original post and then disappear? Dang, lose your life and post 1000 posts a day like the rest of us...

OP
OP
O

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
lol sorry. I'm running a 90mm Lightning MAF and a stock ignition, just NGK plugs.

I'm really hoping for more than mid 300whp, the car also has heads and a cam.

FMSGTS: you have a pretty damn good eye, that is PowerHouse Automotive in PA. I will admit his reputation had my hopes high and I left rather disappointed, sucks.

FMSGTS

Reaction score
I have never had any issues with Mike, seemed to alway help me out in any way needed. He'll make it right with ya. Just don't lose faith.

got5.0

Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
lol sorry. I'm running a 90mm Lightning MAF and a stock ignition, just NGK plugs.

I'm really hoping for more than mid 300whp, the car also has heads and a cam.

ah, that would explain it! thanks, what do you think of the lightning maf? Do you have any idle issues with that maf?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
well good luck, brotha! im hoping your next stop at the dyno goes better for you.

OP
OP
O

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
the Lightning MAF seems great, the car idles fine with it but it did take a little customizing of the cold air intake to fit it and also requires a wiring harness or modifying your factory MAF wires. Your tune also has to be calibrated to run it.

FMSGTS said:
I have never had any issues with Mike, seemed to always help me out in any way needed. He'll make it right with ya. Just don't lose faith.

I don't doubt it, my only hang up is it's 6 hours round trip so it's not like he's right down the street you know? I don't have too much money invested with him yet and he said he'd put what I've already paid towards the final price if i do bring it back.

MustangChris said:
well good luck, brotha! im hoping your next stop at the dyno goes better for you.

Thanks man, so am I.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
You need rear tires :tongue3:

Good luck with getting the full tune. You should put out some impressive numbers with your mods

NXcoupe

Reaction score
So can you go into detail about what the scenario was? I mean, if he wasn't using SCT software on an SCT chip, then what was he trying to use? Was he using a programmer? What year is your car?

OP
OP
O

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Venom the rear tires are pretty new, they only come with 5/32 of tread, they're hardly used! lol

NX I'll try to regurgitate what he told me. Just keep in mind i don't have much experience with this stuff.

He was saying with the SCT software you have to do a complete pull, see what the car is doing and then make changes and go again. With the software he was using you can adjust things on the fly, he said it's also much more precise. he was able to use his normal software and then convert it and burn it to my SCT chip which is good cause i wanted to keep it. Does that make sense?

NXcoupe

Reaction score
Ok, so he is using a moates quarter horse or something to datalog and figure out a program then try to incorporate that into the SCT software?
Ok, so since yours is a 95, there is no way to datalog unless you use a moates to data log. I would have just written a program into SCT and made a pull to see how close we were, then used the moates to verify everything was working correctly and as programmed. But that is still a lot of work. I would think just using a moates chip and the binary edit software would have been more direct and more cost effective. JMHO. Stick with your tuner, you've already invested money with him, and I know it's a lot of driving, that's why he should have concentrated on your vehicle when you got there, jmho. I know shit happens, just hindsight is 20/20. Good luck with it, hope he gets it squared away for you.

castine917

Reaction score
i know he has to make money for tuning your car but i hope he did a large discount on time spent there to make you want to come back.

OP
OP
O

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
NX it sounds like you know what you're talking about, I think he used his normal software and then he converted it to burn it to my SCT chip, seems to have worked for what he was able to do.

Even though my car was literally there all day I've only paid for an hour of dyno time, so really it's not too bad although it does suck the car still isn't done like it should be. Still deciding what I'm going to do.

got5.0

Reaction score
Hey Onyx, how did you get your radiator hose to fit over or under the belt?

OP
OP
O

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I bought a universal aluminum hose off eBay, worked like a freakin charm! I didn't want to run the ugly fox body hose like they recommend and I didn't want to cut and clamp my stock one so I was quite pleased with this, plus they make them in different colors.

GetScrewed.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruby Stang

Members online

No members online now.