Closed, solved

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm running into a problem that is baffling me.
I have the new engine installed in my car, but it seems that the engine is offset in the engine compartment slightly towards the driver's side. There is interference with the power steering hose hitting the battery, which never happened before, and I can't get the driver's side headers into place at all, it's just too tight. I've had these headers on and off at least six times so I do know how to do that.
It appears that something was done differently, or wrong, when the engine was installed (not by me), but what caused this is unclear.
I've looked at the engine mounts pretty carefully and can't see anything obviously wrong with how they were installed. I'm using Energy Suspensions polyurethane mounts.
Here are my questions for you good people:
1) Are the left and right side motor mounts the same or different? I assume they are different and can't be mixed up.
2) Do you think that there's enough slop in the mounting holes to make much of a difference in where the engine sits?
3) Do you have any suggestions for me to try?
I've thought about using an engine hoist to lift the engine just enough to take the weight off the mounts, loosening the bolts, pushing the engine towards the passenger side, tightening everything back up and letting the engine back down.
A buddy I spoke with last night suggested measuring the distance from the crank pulley to the frame rails as a sanity check.
This is becoming quite frustrating and I'd appreciate your insight.

Thanks, CobraRGuy

dalpoas83

Reaction score
I don’t know if it’s possible but it sounds like the engine mounts are reversed to me. Maybe somebody else will know if that’s possible

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Did you pull the k member out of the car? Maybe the k member needs to be shifted and realigned.

OP
OP
CobraRGuy

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
The K member was not removed and as far as I can tell hasn't shifted or moved in any way.

OP
OP
CobraRGuy

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
Well I figured out what happened. The new Trick Flow heads are not going to work with my custom headers, so I'm going going to put the Brodix heads back on. I would otherwise need to have new custom headers made and I'm not willing to do that.
Once I get everything back together I will very likely sell this car.
Thanks everyone for your help.
CobraRGuy

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Well I figured out what happened. The new Trick Flow heads are not going to work with my custom headers, so I'm going going to put the Brodix heads back on. I would otherwise need to have new custom headers made and I'm not willing to do that.
Once I get everything back together I will very likely sell this car.
Thanks everyone for your help.
CobraRGuy
Whoa! That’s not what I was expecting. I thought you were wildly in love with this thing? Never thought you would sell it.

What’s the difference in the heads that makes them not useable?

OP
OP
CobraRGuy

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
It appears that the angle of the surface where the header flanges bolt on is different, in farther at the top. It's a little difficult to describe, but the header tubes stick out much further at the bottom. The rear tube is now directly where the steering shaft needs to be. None of the tubes are where they need to be.
I've had this car since November of 1996 and I am growing weary of crap like this. I'm getting too F'n old to be working and spending money on this car all the time. When it's running well it's a thrill ride to drive, but that's too seldom fo rme now. I've decided that I want a really fast car that I can just leave stock and not have to be laying on the garage floor working on it all the time.
There are newer cars out there now that are faster than this, that have A/C, a killer stereo, navigation, etc. that I can drive my wife and up to Tahoe or around Laguna Seca in more reliability and that I don't have to modify, just maintain. To be frank my wife has told me in no uncertain terms that she hates this car. Soccer moms I pull up next to at stop lights seem to agree with her.
I had a Viper GTS ACR for a few years that I sold that I look back on very fondly now. I'm not sure what I'll get quite yet, maybe a new GT500, I just don't know, I haven't decided. When I bought this car I saw it as the ultimate Mustang and it was... at the time. It is no longer such. Once I get the Brodix heads back on it, it should go back together easily and be reliable, but I'm ready to move on.
I've owned a lot of fast cars during my life of different brands and I will always love Mustangs, but I'm keeping an open mind now. It's time to move on to something that will give me those same or even better thrills that I don't need to work on or fear having a cop pull me over and tell me that they want to see under the hood. No I'm not even considering a Dodge, they're fast in a straight line but are way too heavy and would have to be seriously modified to be any good at all on a road course. I know that I don't want to go there.
My buddy Ray Miller, the most amazing car builder /mechanic / expert I've ever met or known, suggests I look at a Corvette Z06 or even a ZR1. Like I said, I'm keeping an open mind.
Perry

gcassidy

Reaction score
I've had this car since November of 1996 and I am growing weary of crap like this. I'm getting too F'n old to be working and spending money on this car all the time. When it's running well it's a thrill ride to drive, but that's too seldom fo rme now. I've decided that I want a really fast car that I can just leave stock and not have to be laying on the garage floor working on it all the time.
There are newer cars out there now that are faster than this, that have A/C, a killer stereo, navigation, etc. that I can drive my wife and up to Tahoe or around Laguna Seca in more reliability and that I don't have to modify, just maintain. To be frank my wife has told me in no uncertain terms that she hates this car. Soccer moms I pull up next to at stop lights seem to agree with her.
I had a Viper GTS ACR for a few years that I sold that I look back on very fondly now. I'm not sure what I'll get quite yet, maybe a new GT500, I just don't know, I haven't decided. When I bought this car I saw it as the ultimate Mustang and it was... at the time. It is no longer such. Once I get the Brodix heads back on it, it should go back together easily and be reliable, but I'm ready to move on.
I've owned a lot of fast cars during my life of different brands and I will always love Mustangs, but I'm keeping an open mind now. It's time to move on to something that will give me those same or even better thrills that I don't need to work on or fear having a cop pull me over and tell me that they want to see under the hood. No I'm not even considering a Dodge, they're fast in a straight line but are way too heavy and would have to be seriously modified to be any good at all on a road course. I know that I don't want to go there.
My buddy Ray Miller, the most amazing car builder /mechanic / expert I've ever met or known, suggests I look at a Corvette Z06 or even a ZR1. Like I said, I'm keeping an open mind.
Perry
I know the feeling. I had my '98 Cobra that became a track car, and thought I'd have it forever. But just like you getting older quelled my interest in spending hot summers and cold winters in the garage working on the "spare" car while just driving my stock SVT Focus was a blast. Then when I got a Fusion Sport (look it up) new in 2018, the Cobra was gone the next year. Now I'm really old, so that plays into it, but I know the feeling of just wanting to drive! Good luck swapping back the heads and getting it all together.

TrickVert

Reaction score
I'll add another "I feel you" to the thread. I no longer relish the idea of rolling around on the garage floor and/or fighting with this bolt or that fastener.

My A/C has been out for years. Every fall I think, "I need to pull the compressor this winter and replace that shaft seal," and every spring I remember that I didn't do it. Heck, I hardly ever even clean it up before storage any more. Don't get me wrong, I still love the car, grin like a kid every time I drive it, and have no plans to get rid of it, but I'm no longer" enamored" with it as I've been in years past.

Good luck in your quest for the next toy.

OP
OP
CobraRGuy

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
I know the feeling. I had my '98 Cobra that became a track car, and thought I'd have it forever. But just like you getting older quelled my interest in spending hot summers and cold winters in the garage working on the "spare" car while just driving my stock SVT Focus was a blast. Then when I got a Fusion Sport (look it up) new in 2018, the Cobra was gone the next year. Now I'm really old, so that plays into it, but I know the feeling of just wanting to drive! Good luck swapping back the heads and getting it all together.
Thank you. I've looked at the Fusion Sport as a daily driver. I bought my wife an Edge ST with that same engine and I do like it. It must be a blast in the Fusion.

joemomma

Reaction score
I felt this post LOL. My problem is that I have a bit of "can't leave it alone" so no matter what comes home as a replacement, I'll find myself dicking with some aspect of it. Rinse/repeat.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It appears that the angle of the surface where the header flanges bolt on is different, in farther at the top. It's a little difficult to describe, but the header tubes stick out much further at the bottom. The rear tube is now directly where the steering shaft needs to be. None of the tubes are where they need to be.
Perry
Get the Vette!

Don’t get me wrong… I’d LOVE a Shelby and both are rocket ships right out of the box, but the Vette is just the more “refined” of the two for what us older gents are looking for IMHO.

Last edited:

dalpoas83

Reaction score
one vote against the vette. I mean do what you want. I just never been a fan of corvettes. It’s like the country club dbag car for old timers.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
ya not a chevy person i have had a couple not impressed
Chevell, Nova

only gm i would take is a 06-08 GTO

I will stick with my mustangs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The shelby sounds better, they are both fast and can corner and it is still good as a daily with easier getting in/out than the vette.

TrickVert

Reaction score
A few-years-old M5 would give you all the creature comforts, speed, handling, and you could cruise to dinner with the wife in style. I imagine it could handle some Laguna Seca laps, too.

(A whole different classification though, I know.)

OP
OP
CobraRGuy

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
Wow thanks for all the input everyone. I'm still on the fence about what to do. Heck I may just keep the Cobra R. I'm looking at lots of possibilities including an Audi RS5. I'm in no hurry. I want to get this right.
BTW those GTOs are Holden cars, but you probably already knew that. I like them and have gone up against a couple of the 6.0L ones. Smoked them badly. I think I really surprised them. Most don't expect a '95 Mustang to be as fast as mine.
It may be a while before I make a decision. I'll post again when I do.
Thanks again!
CobraRGuy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FHCee

Members online