Cruise Control Fix for LED Tail Light Bulbs

shovel

Reaction score
I just put a 10 ohm, 100W resistor in parallel with the passenger side brake lamp. It of course doesn't see anywhere near 100W of power (10 ohms against 14 volts is ~20 watts) but the 100W unit has a lot of surface area to keep total temperature low and it has 2 screw holes so I could mount it to the inner sheet metal structure to dissipate the heat further and keep temp as low as possible. It only sees meaningful current while the brake lamps or turn signal is on, it is not receiving high current when the normal taillights are just on.

The one weird thing is it cancels cruise control when I put the right-hand turn signal on. I've decided that's not a big enough deal to pursue any further.

Stringshaker

Reaction score
I just put a 10 ohm, 100W resistor in parallel with the passenger side brake lamp. It of course doesn't see anywhere near 100W of power (10 ohms against 14 volts is ~20 watts) but the 100W unit has a lot of surface area to keep total temperature low and it has 2 screw holes so I could mount it to the inner sheet metal structure to dissipate the heat further and keep temp as low as possible. It only sees meaningful current while the brake lamps or turn signal is on, it is not receiving high current when the normal taillights are just on.

The one weird thing is it cancels cruise control when I put the right-hand turn signal on. I've decided that's not a big enough deal to pursue any further.
I had a Porsche 944 and the sunroof wouldn't open if a tail light burnt out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FHCee

Members online