What other car would you choose?

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Bought myself an Infiniti G35x sedan. That thing was fun. Took it to 200k miles when the driveshaft fell off at 80mph. Fun times. Only foreign car I’ve ever owned.

Wife has owned 3 Hondas. They are her cars and don’t need much which is great because I hate fixing cars. I mean technically they are ours but I don’t drive em.

What I really want right now is a Porsche Macan GTS….

Last edited:

garrittpwl

Reaction score
Obv 10 months behind this thread. Any american car? Does a viper count as a muscle car? Lets say 150k budget because obviously a mkII gt40 is everyone's number one choice.

But for 150k
My choices in order
De Tamoso Pantera
(to qualify as american it would have to be pre 1976 as thats when ford stopped importing them) (also any model year as long as 351 cleveland powered and its red)
2nd Generation Viper GTS (preferably an ACR)(Red w/silver Stripes)
00 Cobra R
07 Shelby GT500 (red/white stripe "i am legend" car)
95 Cobra R

Now for my sacrilegious choices
Buick Regal GNX
GMC Cyclone
02 Trans Am WS6 manual, in red
Corvette C4 ZR1
Dodge Stealth RT (3000GT VR4 ;) )
Ram SRT10 (standard cab only, in red)
2nd Gen Dodge Dakota RT (standard cab only, in red)

Last edited:

GTamas

Reaction score
Somehow I can't get very excited about modern cars too much. I just need a safe and reliable daily driver for my family and a fun car for myself. As fun car if not my Mustang, then it would be probably an F-body.
- 79 TransAm (403 Olds engine and auto)
- 02 Trans Am WS6 manual
- some 3rd gen Camaro Z28 or IROC-Z which I would replicate exterior looks to this one:
20240319_215732.jpg

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Somehow I can't get very excited about modern cars too much. I just need a safe and reliable daily driver for my family and a fun car for myself. As fun car if not my Mustang, then it would be probably an F-body.
- 79 TransAm (403 Olds engine and auto)
- 02 Trans Am WS6 manual
- some 3rd gen Camaro Z28 or IROC-Z which I would replicate exterior looks to this one:
View attachment 33520

I like a 2nd gen, but one with a 403? Ewwwww lol

GTamas

Reaction score
I like a 2nd gen, but one with a 403? Ewwwww lol
:) Yeah I know, most likely would choose the 400 Pontiac engine or a 350 Chevy.
I had a 79 T/A in the past with the 403 which I did rebuild with heads, cam, intake and carb. I liked it and would take the same again.
It's a big bore, short stroke engine.
I usually like to choose paths other than the common ones. :)

shovel

Reaction score
If I had to stick with American brands (or American made) I'd want the most barebones possible 6th gen Camaro with the naturally aspirated V8. I'd have to drive both before deciding on transmission but this is all just chat anyway.

1711404478503.png
I already own a RCSB Ram that was built in Mexico under Italian ownership so... I'm not sure how much nation of origin matters even.

1711404587441.png

If my garage burned down with my Mustangs, spare parts, tools, etc in it and I had to replace them with the insurance check I'd probably buy a brand new GR86 which is fully Japanese.

Just because it annoys people here's a scale-accurate comparison of the GR86 and SN95
1711404363132.png

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
This.

I've informally been a Porsche fan my entire life, but now the thirst is real.

View attachment 35210
My neighbor has a GT4RS and a 991.2 Turbo S. He almost never drives the GT4RS. He won't say it but I think he regrets the purchase. Ever since he got it all he talks about is the other cars he'd buy if he had the space. Never sings the praises of the GT4RS, but talks about the Turbo and his Raptor non-stop.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
If I had to stick with American brands (or American made) I'd want the most barebones possible 6th gen Camaro with the naturally aspirated V8. I'd have to drive both before deciding on transmission but this is all just chat anyway.

View attachment 33678
I already own a RCSB Ram that was built in Mexico under Italian ownership so... I'm not sure how much nation of origin matters even.

View attachment 33679

If my garage burned down with my Mustangs, spare parts, tools, etc in it and I had to replace them with the insurance check I'd probably buy a brand new GR86 which is fully Japanese.

Just because it annoys people here's a scale-accurate comparison of the GR86 and SN95
View attachment 33677

Those cars are complete garbage though . My 240hp 2018 f150 diesel could beat those in a drag race and it weighed 6200lbs

View attachment 33678

View attachment 33679

View attachment 33677

Have you ever driven one ? They’re total turds . Slower than a Tacoma .

shovel

Reaction score
Yeah I've driven one. Everyone has different goals, I don't hang out near drag strips or dynos but I do live near a bunch of beautiful mountain roads.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yeah I've driven one. Everyone has different goals, I don't hang out near drag strips or dynos but I do live near a bunch of beautiful mountain roads.
They’re not even good at that though . You can make your mustang run circles around that car . I’ve only dyno’d my car once . Dyno numbers don’t mean much to me .

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
One of the install shops I worked at the owner had an SL600 that he made the mistake of letting us drive one time. We were too scared to do anything too crazy in it....
This.

I've informally been a Porsche fan my entire life, but now the thirst is real.

View attachment 35210
Is that the extreme driving experience(I see the sticker on the back window now)? I did the GT3RS 2 yrs ago and it was an amazingly balanced machine. You could throw it into a corner and floor it and there was NO understeer. The co-driver actually grabbed the wheel 2 times while I was going into corners to keep me from going in too deep as I drove the GT500 the year before, and am use to mustang understeer so it was a different experience to have it go anywhere I pointed it. The 488GTB ferrari has been my favorite so far. A little more power than the porsche but still had the performance....

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
One of the install shops I worked at the owner had an SL600 that he made the mistake of letting us drive one time. We were too scared to do anything too crazy in it....

Is that the extreme driving experience(I see the sticker on the back window now)? I did the GT3RS 2 yrs ago and it was an amazingly balanced machine. You could throw it into a corner and floor it and there was NO understeer. The co-driver actually grabbed the wheel 2 times while I was going into corners to keep me from going in too deep as I drove the GT500 the year before, and am use to mustang understeer so it was a different experience to have it go anywhere I pointed it. The 488GTB ferrari has been my favorite so far. A little more power than the porsche but still had the performance....

Yup. I did the GT500 previously, but this year did the 911 GT3 (992). It took me a lap or so to "unlearn" what i learned with the GT500 and start to drive it like a Porsche. Once I felt what it felt like to just go around a corner in perfectly neutral balance, i started throwing it into corners at higher speeds. I also discovered i was getting on the throttle waaaaay too late.

I'm debating renting the car for 2 sessions next year. They also have the 718 Cayman GT4 RS

I found out why they retired the GT3 RS. Apparently, they let folks use the paddle shifters on them and it blew 2 engines at a cost of $70K each. Ever since then, no more shifting the cars manually per policy. They also retired the GT500 due to supercharger failures. Was hard to get parts for them back during the pandemic so the car was on the sideline a lot.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yup. I did the GT500 previously, but this year did the 911 GT3 (992). It took me a lap or so to "unlearn" what i learned with the GT500 and start to drive it like a Porsche. Once I felt what it felt like to just go around a corner in perfectly neutral balance, i started throwing it into corners at higher speeds. I also discovered i was getting on the throttle waaaaay too late.

I'm debating renting the car for 2 sessions next year. They also have the 718 Cayman GT4 RS

I found out why they retired the GT3 RS. Apparently, they let folks use the paddle shifters on them and it blew 2 engines at a cost of $70K each. Ever since then, no more shifting the cars manually per policy. They also retired the GT500 due to supercharger failures. Was hard to get parts for them back during the pandemic so the car was on the sideline a lot.
Yea going from the gt500 that I was afraid it was going to just split the tires in half at any time to the gt4rs was a hell of a change for sure. Try the ferrari 488 and you will not be sorry I promise. I am tempted to try the hybrid this year.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I’d love a cayman gt4 rs for a daily . Porsche is by far favourite for driver cars . Plus they’re reliable

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
man that gt4 is a racecar you can take on the street. From the roll cage to the little details like to open the door from the inside they have a nylon ribbon you pull to save weight. It was an amazing performer, I just wish it had a TAD more power but that can be done....

The year in the 911 was the only year that they didn't ask if we wanted to go fast/slow and just lined us up. Every other year they have asked and put the people that were not looking to push it in the back so we didn't have to go around them. Because of this I didn't really get a clean lap where I was not passing someone, or when someone was ready to pass me. Still a LOT of fun for sure...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online