94 auto trans

Otsf892

Reaction score
My 94 at hiway speed will suddenly downshift like it's going into passing gear, guru's please help.

b1pig

Reaction score
The AOD has a locking torque converter. Is the engine RPM going up 300-400-ish, or does it go up 1,000 RPM or more when it "downshifts".
Reason I ask. The torque converter will unlock based on throttle position to improve torque. So, modulating the throttle a little can cause the computer to unlock the torque converter. Mine does this and that is normal operation for the most part. Slight hills, etc.

I can't recall right off what triggers the downshift on the 94 AOD. If its a TV Cable or electronic. If your fluid level is correct, then either the TV Cable (kickdown) or the throttle position sensor.
I'll do a bit of looking.

As a side note. There is no "passing gear". The transmission is a 3spd with Overdrive 4th. The "kickdown" function either holds the gear or kicks down a gear depending on vehicle speed and throttle position.

b1pig

Reaction score
scratch that...

94 went electronic

94/95 had the AODE. 96-up SN95/New Edge had the 4R70W.... both transmissions were computer controlled.
Since the computer is controlling the gear selection and torque converter lockup, the first place to look is for any codes, scan tool for sensors (throttle position mainly).

Beyond that, I'd be interrested to hear more detail.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online