96 V6 with a WC T5?

shovel

Reaction score
Everything I've read says that 3.8's got NWC T5's but I'm replacing my clutch and there's a flush bearing cap looking right at me...

1712127482097.png

That's a WC right? So that means I should probably run ATF instead of 50W..

What do you think?

Last edited:
OP
OP
shovel

shovel

Reaction score
I'd swear I read some "authoritative" website say that 3.8's got the NWC.. but it's good to know what I have conclusively anyway.

Now I have a dumb hassle.. I generally do clean work, I have the factory service manuals, I swept my garage floor clean before starting work and have been working indoors with a controlled work environment that nobody else goes into, and I have a leftover bolt.

I've disassembled the whole mess a second time, scrutinized the manual, watched youtube videos to see what I'm missing... it's not making any sense.

Here's the bolt:

1712470253225.png

Key fob for scale. The presence of oil crust makes me think it's from somewhere lower, rather than higher.. It's shorter than the two bottom bolts that go from the pan to the bell housing. It's not one of the starter bolts.

Anyone recognize this thing? I am not going to be able to drive this car till it's figured out I'm not the sort of dude who can ignore leftover parts :(

Thanks for any assistance. Reference visuals below:

1712470722948.png

Photo below is from *before* the flywheel came off 1712470788118.png

Last edited:

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
That looks like one of the bolts that holds the lower shifter boot seal to the trans tunnel.

OP
OP
shovel

shovel

Reaction score
That's a good suggestion but those are accounted for & this one is larger in diameter.

It's almost the right size to be one of the bolts that holds the pressure plate on but all of those are accounted for, and they were "Dry" (not oily) and have a much smaller flange below the hex.

Last edited:
OP
OP
shovel

shovel

Reaction score
I feel like a doofus I've been looking right past it over and over... here it is. A second bottom bolt just above the clutch cable.

1712523185374.png

OP
OP
shovel

shovel

Reaction score
I gotta say a week+ into the new clutch, fresh ATF in the gearbox, new trans mount (and recent engine mounts) this car feels fantastic to drive. Now I need a free weekend and to allocate myself some gas money

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeanfltns01

Members online