AODE shifting funny 1995

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Sold our car to my mother. 1995 GT 5.0 automatic. Put a shift kit in it last year but i accidentally switched 2 of the plugs. Noticed it right away and pulled the pan and switched them back and all was good for 4000 miles last year. Drove it a couple of times this year and all was fine. My mother took it to her house then next time out it had an anti-freeze leak and her low coolant light came on but it never overheated. Right after that she said it was shifting hard. Today I fixed the anti-freeze leak and took it for a ride and the trans is doing the exact same thing it was doing when the shift solenoid plugs were reversed. It shifts into 3rd fine but shifting into 2nd its like a bog then when stopping there is a chattering coming from the trans area.
First question...I don't see how these 2 could be related but could the low coolant light have affected the trans shifting in any way? Next question...any idea on what it could be? I'm thinking either 1) the wire from the ECU to the trans got cut or damaged somehow 2) one of the plugs inside the pan came loose 3) a solenoid went bad?
Can anyone think of why or how the low coolant light could have affected this? It was leaking from the t-stat housing.
My gameplan is to get it up on jackstands and look for any wire harness damage under the car anywhere. After that drain and drop the pan and see if any of the plugs are loose. Next I will replace all solenoids.
Anything else anyone can suggest or anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

dalpoas83

Reaction score
Don’t have much info to offer here on the trans issue but will say I think it’s highly unlikely the low coolant light and the trans issue are tied together. I could be wrong I have been wrong before

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Did some more researching and sounds like the torque convertor isn't unlocking. Any ideas? What or how would I test to narrow it down?

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Dropped the pan and not seeing anything out of the ordinary. Gonna replace the TCC solenoid and hope that fixes it. If not I'll probably take it to a shop and let them figure it out. I'm out of ideas after that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online