C.A.R.B. legal EFI upgrades?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Besides my existing BBK 75mm throttle body & CAI combo + recent IAC restrictor plate install, is there anything else I can do to maximize crispness, responsiveness and overall performance of my EFI setup? Oh, and it has to remain C.A.R.B. legal for Cali-PITA-fornia? An oxymoron, I’m aware… but would be remiss if I didn’t ask and have missed something.

Thank you everyone! Cheers….

Daryl
347 stroker

shovel

Reaction score
maximize crispness, responsiveness and overall performance of my EFI setup?

The law doesn't say anything about rotating mass and not all performance is derived from aspiration.

I know you didn't ask about that but if you've run into a limitation on fuel and air and the thing you want is more performance from the whole car then there's no reason you have to focus your efforts on just combustion.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The law doesn't say anything about rotating mass and not all performance is derived from aspiration.

I know you didn't ask about that but if you've run into a limitation on fuel and air and the thing you want is more performance from the whole car then there's no reason you have to focus your efforts on just combustion.
Roger that, Shovel. it's already a 347 stroker, BBK 75mm, CAI, TKX 5-speed, 3.55 rear gears. so I'm guessing this might be best to tie it all in and maximize what I have?

shovel

Reaction score
I'm guessing this might be best to tie it all in and maximize what I have?

Everyone's got their own end goals, cars in emissions regulated areas mean you've got specific rules. I don't see it as too different from the rule books that make up racing classes. F1 teams can't qualify a car that would pass GT3 rules.. California drivers can't register a car that would pass South Dakota's rules.

If you're playing the California Highways circuit and they limit your fuel and air modifications you can move or cheat or comply. But they don't tell you not to run underdrives (remember you're spinning the engine faster than stock at any road speed over idle with those 3.55 gears) or an aluminum driveshaft or a lithium battery.. you get the picture.

Anyway that's just my input, friendly conversation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking about an aluminum driveshaft;-)

There’s a driveline shop less than 1/2 hr away. They’ve made driveshafts for me in the past. I’ll give them a call and see if they can make me one and how much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Wasn't the Ford SC CARB legal?
Probably.

Vortech has a CARB legal supercharger but their kits are engineered out of the box for stock engines, not stroked. I asked them. They said their kit + the necessary trip to the only shop around that could make it work, all in, would be about $7k. Ouch!

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Probably.

Vortech has a CARB legal supercharger but their kits are engineered out of the box for stock engines, not stroked. I asked them. They said their kit + the necessary trip to the only shop around that could make it work, all in, would be about $7k. Ouch!

That carb legal blower on your car will still add another 80-100rwhp . The brackets are the same piping is the same etc . So it’s not hard install . You can do a Vortech v3 si trim install on a 94/95 car in afternoon with a 6 pack .

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That carb legal blower on your car will still add another 80-100rwhp . The brackets are the same piping is the same etc . So it’s not hard install . You can do a Vortech v3 si trim install on a 94/95 car in afternoon with a 6 pack .
It’s the $7k that’s the problem!!

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
It’s the $7k that’s the problem!!
Absolutely. The procharger on my car was 6k Canadian in 2006 now it’s over 6k USD so over 8 Canadian just for the kit . Prices on superchargers have gone up substantially in the last few years

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
holy heck have they gone up that much? When I was lookin at the kits they were $3500-4kish but that was a minute ago. If you keep your eyes open you can always find a good deal though. It took me a while but I found a kit that the guy had ordered, opened the box and took the supercharger out to oogle and then put it back in the box and wrecked the car before he could install it. I go the complete new kit for a significant discount and as he said it is not hard at all to put on. The instructions are well laid out with plenty of pics and even an amature like me was able to figure it out.

shovel

Reaction score
Again just conversation but what's the actual goal here?

Example a ford crate 347 is rated 415 horsepower but if you're pushing that through this thing
1711651373967.png
you're probably making like... maybe 350 or less? If you bolt on a supercharger that just means stuffing even more sausage through that casing.. every molecule of fuel you burn plus its accompanying oxygen and nitrogen have to get pushed down an already crowded hallway.

To be clear I like catalytic converters. All of my cars have them despite no practical need for me to remain compliant. But that midpipe is like 2.25" tube and those four cats probably aren't particularly high-flow compared with modern ones. I had the luxury of buying an aftermarket midpipe with cats and it was noticeable on a mild 302.

If that piece of metal is unavoidably part of your equation due to local regulations I just don't see how devoting any more effort to peak horsepower is going to do you a bit of good.

I'd be optimizing the car in other ways - or - buying factory built horsepower that doesn't need any fiddling to go fast or pass emissions.
1711652360535.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online