Do stock Fox valve covers fit SN95s with roller rockers? The ANSWER inside!

95-stang

Reaction score
Fair enough that sounds a pain, on a stock set -up however its very straightforward and i wish i had known about this 2 years ago. :)

Addermk2

Reaction score
well, i went and ground down the lower bolt on my alternator (the one that hits the valve cover) and also took away part of the casing material on the bottom of the alt where it was hitting the cover. Sadly, I wont be able to give you any results until tomorrow since I JUST painted my drivers side valve cover.. it'll be wet for several hours. (wrinkle finish paint takes FOREVER to dry)

Ryno8705

Reaction score
Spd0Lit said:
Get the facts straight. It does matter. The Sn95 5.0 GTs have stamped steel covers that have little to no clearance. The foxes have cast covers will alot more clearance underneath. And yes cobra covers do work they are just alot harder to come by.

Well, as far as Ford Racing/Crane pedestal mount 1.7 Cobra RRs, I have the facts straight, thank you very little.

I have not tried stud mounted rockers, so maybe I spoke a little out of place since I didn't give enough detail behind my comment.

Edit: To save you from trying to refute my comment, here is a direct quote from Ford Racing:

"The M-6564-B351 and -A50 bolt-on roller rocker arms will not clear the stamped rocker cover on standard 5.0L EFI engines. 'Taller' valve
covers, such as the production 5.0L EFI HO die-cast aluminum cover or Ford Racing chrome cover M-6582-D302, can be used if the baffle
is modified in the RH cover."

Last time I checked 94/95 GT 5.0s were EFI HO, and I know my stock valve covers were not steel. Still think I need to get my facts straight?

Ryno8705

Reaction score
Spd0Lit said:
You also have to note that the oil fill neck will not clear the neck on a sn95 throttle body set-up. It can be done with a small little cut and re-weld but the way i have mine now it just barely clears.

Just throwing it out there... I have a pair of stock 91 Fox valve covers on my 94 and I did nothing to the oil neck to clear my TB on either my stock HO or my SVO (Cobra) intake. I also didn't do crap to the alternator bolt to get it to fit. My case was simply plug and play, absolutely no more than that. The only reason I swapped to the Fox covers was because there was a crack in one of my old covers and the Fox covers were $30 shipped.

Spd0lit

Reaction score
well are you 100% sure your covers were stock? Because i know for a fact mine were and they were stamped steel.
Here is proof:

And yes pedestal is a different ball game.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Ryno8705 said:
Last time I checked 94/95 GT 5.0s were EFI HO, and I know my stock valve covers were not steel. Still think I need to get my facts straight?

Yes. The 94-95 cars had stamped steel valve covers, not die cast aluminum like the fox cars.

Ryno8705

Reaction score
Paul said:
Yes. The 94-95 cars had stamped steel valve covers, not die cast aluminum like the fox cars.

Alright, I guess I may be wrong then. The "fox" style valve covers I replaced because one was cracked, came with the car and I didn't think the previous owner would swap on non-stock cracked valve covers. Plus, the last car show I was at, the only (2) 94/95 GTs which had the hoods up had the "fox" style valve covers, just like the ones I have--I was purposely paying attention. Either way, if I'm wrong, my bad.

EDIT: I'm wrong, done. If a 94/95 Mustang has Fox style (diecast aluminum) valve covers on it, it's because they were swapped. There is more room under the Fox covers and seems to be a "sleeper"/cheaper means to put roller rockers under valve covers and keep a stock look. I found numerour pics of 94/95 Mustang GT motors (thanks google) which have the stock stamped steel valve covers like the 5.0 Exploder motors. So, again, my bad.

95-stang

Reaction score
Must admit i've never seen anything fitted other than the stock black metal covers, but then again we dont have the quantity of SN95's you do.

Ryno8705

Reaction score
Yeah, funny you mention that, because I'm the exact opposite. Since I started paying attention to little things like valve covers recently, I had not noticed a 94/95 GT without the Fox covers/aftermarket covers. If I had to guess, it's because the people with the black-stock-stamped-steel covers still have all the smog stuff in the way and I didn't pay attention; where as most people who have eliminated the smog stuff would have swapped valve covers to something which looks better than stamped steel because the valve covers show more.

Regardless, I really hope I did not confuse anyone.

95-stang

Reaction score
Well there are some differences, my idler pulley [between the alternator and power steering] is metal, but i have seen some that are plastic, lots of little things that Ford probably could'nt even give a reason for.

modo

Reaction score
the late 92 and all of the 93 valve covers have more room internally... if you guys are searching for valve covers they are the ones you want.

BLOWN 95GT

Reaction score
Another thing to add I have a 95 gt with a 351w and I had the fox valve covers on my car with ford racing roller rockers and gt 40 iron heads and they fit fine but I swapped to trickflow twisted wedge heads and they would not fit so they will work depending on what head you run.

two95s

Reaction score
From my experience the heads you are using makes a slight difference wheather the valve covers will clear the alt.

BLOWN 95GT

Reaction score
two95s said:
From my experience the heads you are using makes a slight difference wheather the valve covers will clear the alt.
Hitting the alt. was not the problem it was the roller rockers that were touching.

teestang66

Reaction score
Oil filler cap is real tight squeze. May have to pop top off to remove and replace after screwing back on.
My 2 cents w.

94califiveoh

Reaction score
ok, so someone help me out here, I have trickflow heads with 1.6 frp rockers. what year fox valve covers should i look to clear my rockers and alternator?

Spd0lit

Reaction score
you still might have to do a little grinding but the ones you want are around 90-93. you will know they are right if the have the stepped ridges on the outside.

94califiveoh

Reaction score
and just to make sure, 90-93 valve covers will clear 1.6 roller rockers on TFS heads?

wannaboost94gt

Reaction score
I think so. :thumbsup: You should post as a topic if your unsure. Instead of :BangHead: askin questions on a sticky. You'll get more answers that way .02 :icon_salut:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online