Explain like I’m 5 how does this go together? I bought the car with coil overs and am converting back to shocks and springs.

95SN95

Reaction score
How does this go together? I bought the car with coil overs and am converting back to shocks and springs. Because it didn’t have shocks I have no reference as to what goes where. I’ve watched a gazillion YouTube videos of SN95 shock replacements but they don’t go into the detail I need.

Attachments

• IMG_7496.jpeg
    IMG_7496.jpeg
    414.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7497.jpeg
    IMG_7497.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7498.jpeg
    IMG_7498.jpeg
    343.7 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP

95SN95

Reaction score
This is the camber plate on top. How does this shock mount to the camber plate?IMG_7501.jpeg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
It might be a little hard to find someone that has swapped back. Most of us go to coil overs and never look back.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If you are close to central Ky, I have a scrap mustang roller sitting out side with its stock struts. You are very welcome to scavenge anything you want from the car.

OP
OP

95SN95

Reaction score
It might be a little hard to find someone that has swapped back. Most of us go to coil overs and never look back. know nothing about coil overs. It had these MaxSpeedingRod coil overs installed when I got the car. Very low end coil overs. It rode like a cement truck and creaked and banged at every turn. I removed as much pre-load as I could and it helped but they’re just too low quality to fix the ride and noise. Plus I found the camber plate wasn’t even installed right they where 90 degrees off so they were acting as caster plates

It might be a little hard to find someone that has swapped back. Most of us go to coil overs and never look back.
True. And I know nothing about coil overs. It had these MaxSpeedingRod coil overs installed when I got the car. I found out they are very low end coil overs. It rode like a cement truck and creaked and banged at every turn. I removed as much pre-load as I could and it helped but they’re just too low quality to fix the poor ride and noise. Plus I found the camber plate wasn’t even installed right they where 90 degrees off so they were acting as caster plates

Attachments

• A115BA39-9C8E-4D7C-8914-285A4812B634.jpeg
    A115BA39-9C8E-4D7C-8914-285A4812B634.jpeg
    253 KB · Views: 2

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
MaxSpeedingRods are in fact low-end. I'd swap to springs as well.

You are missing your stock strut mounts. There's also a dust cover that's not shown here, but with Billsteins they usually comes with the dust cover . I JUST threw my stock stuff in the trash last week as i would have shipped them to you.
1715264121417.png

You need the above, plus dust covers.

You can also go with a set of aftermarket caster-camber plates if you wanted. It depends on how low you go.

I'm running those same Bilstiens with Eibach springs and it rides fantastic. I did use the MM caster plates, but my car didn't really drop far enoguh to really need them.

I know you don't have the MM plates, but the install instructions might help you understand how they get setup

OP
OP

95SN95

Reaction score
Well I have MM springs and because I’m missing part of the stock caster plate already- thank you all for pointing that out - I went ahead and ordered the aftermarket camber caster plate as well.

Same subject different topic. When putting my new springs in on the lower a arm in the passenger side there looks to be a piece of coil spring left in the bottom that is welded in there. Did they weld the coil spring to the a arm from the factory? The driver side did not have this. The ball joint boot is ripped and the ball joint suspect so I’ll probably just replace the a arm anyways.

shovel

Reaction score
Replace the whole arms. The moog ones aren't that expensive and that way you get new frame side bushings at the same time, and replacing just the ball joints is a hassle.

Everyone reading this comment if your ball joints are 20+ years old make a priority of replacing them. They don't have a safety catch, when they let go your car falls to the ground and your tire destroys your fender and if you're lucky that only happens when you're going 1mph going in or out of a parking spot. If you're going fast.. well use your imagination how that works out.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
When putting my new springs in on the lower a arm in the passenger side there looks to be a piece of coil spring left in the bottom that is welded in there. Did they weld the coil spring to the a arm from the factory? The driver side did not have this. The ball joint boot is ripped and the ball joint suspect so I’ll probably just replace the a arm anyways.

Nope. Well known for the springs to rust in the perch.

This is how my stock spring came out. Had to take it out with the A-arm. Later took a 10lb sledge to bang it loose.

1715281016615.png
1715281070751.png

It all went in the trash. I went with new Moog arms

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online