Hi from Argyll, Scotland

JohnnyMac

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I’m John and I own a 1995 GT, I live in Argyll, Scotland.

I’ve just had a new windshield installed, everything fine there, but am having one major problem getting the A pillars reinstalled as I had to drill the original screws out…..any suggestions as to a genius way to get those pillars back on flush would be appreciated! Here’s a few pics of the Stang

Attachments

• IMG_1165.jpeg
    IMG_1165.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1164.jpeg
    IMG_1164.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 9

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Interior panels can be such a pain. Best to just keep trying, messaging it all back. Good luck.

Welcome to the forums. Be sure to browse the build thread and be encouraged to create your own build thread.

Do you have plans with the car? Like just drive it around cruising or racing the car.

OP
OP
JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac

Reaction score
the screw at the very front under the fender/door joint or?
The bolt at the door joint is fine it’s the bit along the roof that won’t lie flush, there are Philips screws that hold it on but I had to drill them out

OP
OP
JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac

Reaction score
Interior panels can be such a pain. Best to just keep trying, messaging it all back. Good luck.

Welcome to the forums. Be sure to browse the build thread and be encouraged to create your own build thread.

Do you have plans with the car? Like just drive it around cruising or racing the car.
I’ve had it since 2017 it’s been a great car, bought it when I lived in Spain, driven it all over Europe and it’s never let me down, great car. I want to keep it and try to do as much work as possible myself.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ah ok I wasn't sure if the screws went into metal, or the pillar. Were you able to get all of the screws out of the pillar or are the tips still in it?

OP
OP
JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac

Reaction score
ah ok I wasn't sure if the screws went into metal, or the pillar. Were you able to get all of the screws out of the pillar or are the tips still in it?
Yeah, that the problem. Tips stuck in and the plastic part that takes the screws is a bit damaged, so am trying to think up some other way to attach the mid section of the pillar, it’s fine at either end, just the screw parts in the middle… am thinking seam sealer it down and hold with clamps until it sets…

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to The Herd, JohnnyMac! Clan Stuart representing here in Southern Cal, USA. If there are just holes where the Phillips scews used to be, "maybe" a tad wider set screw (?) if the head isn't too big. But.... seam sealer may be your last best effort to fix that A-pillar. Kinda janky, but if it works, it works! Good luck with the fix. Welcome aboard... and Cheers!

P.S.- wait 'till you see what has to come off to replace the rear window!! Gonna take more than a couple pints to get through that job!

OP
OP
JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac

Reaction score
Thanks Daryl agreed re ‘janky’ but might be the only way until I can source some replacement A pillars……which is harder than a bag of hard things! Oddly enough I was just wondering how horrific the rear screen might be….cheers, J

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
RTV is good for outdoor areas and still will separate later if needed if in a pinch. Can you grind the screws flat enough to drill the rest of them out? If so you could fill the hole with some plastic weld and then put the screws into it.

OP
OP
JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac

Reaction score
Am thinking that might be an idea before the seam sealer option. Think there’s enough of the fitting left to reweld it with JB plastic weld….its a real PIA that whole fitting….couple of pics
showing the gaps

Attachments

• IMG_1002.jpeg
    IMG_1002.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1001.jpeg
    IMG_1001.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Am thinking that might be an idea before the seam sealer option. Think there’s enough of the fitting left to reweld it with JB plastic weld….its a real PIA that whole fitting….couple of pics
showing the gaps
I forgot that they do make machined threaded inserts that are made to be glued in to a hole that might work if you want to have screws. I used it when I converted the explorer overhead console to hold some parts together and can get a pic to show if you are interested.

OP
OP
JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac

Reaction score
Excellent I didn’t think of that a pic would be great if you’ve got one

OP
OP
JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac

Reaction score
That’s the answer I’ll strip the pillars off and put some of those on that’ll work perfectly, thanks very much, appreciated