I’m 17 I just bought a 2004 mustang gt 2v I love it but my suspension is squeaking and I wanna everything for a smooth ride, what do I do?

OP
OP
Slow_v8

Slow_v8

Reaction score
start by sticking your head under it and see how they lowered it. Did they cut a spring, coil overs or some other way? It could be as simple as adding isolators above/below the springs or it could need an entire do-over.
He said it was lowered on coil overs don’t know which brand

badass98svt

Reaction score
Does it squeak when you turn the wheel? Squeak when you hit a bump?

It's all your bushings. They are 20 years old.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
He said it was lowered on coil overs don’t know which brand

You might want to check. Take a picture of the strut mounts on top under the hood. There's a very cheap brand that is highly popular and they have a distinctive look to them.

Call me Chief

Reaction score
Turn up the stereo until you can't hear the squeaking noise. Just yankin your chain, listen to the other guys advise not mine. Never listen to my advise, it always ends badly.

OP
OP
Slow_v8

Slow_v8

Reaction score
It has a borla exhaust already pretty loud but I do have an x pipe just not sure if I wanna put it on in case I get pulled over for it being loud cause I ain’t got no license

OP
OP
Slow_v8

Slow_v8

Reaction score
You might want to check. Take a picture of the strut mounts on top under the hood. There's a very cheap brand that is highly popular and they have a distinctive look to them.
Oh shi bro I just checked and these coil overs worth 2kIMG_0976.jpegIMG_0961.jpeg

shovel

Reaction score
You're going to want to inspect your ball joints real carefully and if there's any chance at all that they're original... replace 'em. They're time bombs and if you're lucky they squeak for a while before letting go. There's no captive safety on them, when they let go your car falls to the ground and your tire wrecks your fender and you have a super bad day.

Most people opt to buy whole control arms (with the ball joint built in) because they also come with new bushings and are fresh and rust-free.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I agree. These are how the ball joints on my 70k mile car looked. Once the boots tear the grease dries out and they start making noise and grinding themselves out of the pocket.

I replaced the entire arm with a Moog arm
IMG_9143.png

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I’d start with a new set of front control arms . Saves the time of replacing ball joints and pressing new bushings in and out . Just a set of stock replacements will be fine. less labour involved and a much easier overall job to just replace the control arms and it’s doable with basics tools . Those KW coilovers are nice too .

Welcome enjoy your stay

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Throw the whole car away and get a geo metro
ROFLMFAO. No, kid, do NOT do that (unless insurance is astronomical!). He was just joking.

But seriously, +1 for top and bottom isolators AND new control arms with ball joints installed sounds like your solution. And of course check the struts because even $2k’s wear out!

Good luck. Keep us posted. And welcome to The Herd!

Last edited:

NicksGTR

Reaction score
Whoever installed the coil overs missed the part where you need camber caster plates to support the shock tower and get proper alignment. And your lower A arm ball joint in the pic is SHOT! I'm surprised your not getting a loud thunk going over bumps.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Just saw the pics on a PC. This balljoint boot does look torn.

1712582571002.png

I also agree about the Caster/camber plate mount. Doesn't look right. From what I see the KW coil-overs do not come with a strut mount, and just say to reuse the factory mount in the install directions. I can't find any photos online. It actually looks like you have very minimal adjustment with those. Maybe a little camber adjustment but no caster.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online