Mystic paint

Mysticcobra

Reaction score
I just picked up a 1996 mystic cobra but the front bumper and hood need repainted. I plan on repainting it myself but don’t know if you can still get the paint or where to get it. Does anyone know where I could order it or if I can still get it somewhere? Thanks!IMG_3384.jpeg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
no that ended long ago. At one point you had to have the vin number and a paint rep would bring the paint and then take what was left after so there was no extra. Any dealer can get it but I think BASF is the only place that makes it but I think it is like a pearl paint job that you would need to paint the entire car to get it to match. The pearls tend to fade after time and I don't think it allows you to blend it the way it has to be laid out.

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked up a 1996 mystic cobra but the front bumper and hood need repainted. I plan on repainting it myself but don’t know if you can still get the paint or where to get it. Does anyone know where I could order it or if I can still get it somewhere? Thanks!View attachment 35081
Good looking car. Any more pics and what number is she.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Most go looking for good mystic painted parts to replace their bad painted parts. They typically go for big money too! The original Mystic paint has become a commodity and the difficulty of matching up your paint most just look for stock parts. Pretty much summing up what ttocs stated. Good luck with the car tho! Car looks fantastic!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ah heck naw! I mean yea we will look and follow you on te
he other sites, but we want you to be a regular here!

Welcome to the forums! A great bunch we got hanging around here and you would fit right on in! So let me encourage you to post here,.... whatever you post on the other sites. Also start a build thread here over in the build thread section. We all love pictures of mustangs and we love what others do with their mustangs or vehicles. Welcome along

OP
OP
Mysticcobra

Mysticcobra

Reaction score
Ah heck naw! I mean yea we will look and follow you on te
he other sites, but we want you to be a regular here!

Welcome to the forums! A great bunch we got hanging around here and you would fit right on in! So let me encourage you to post here,.... whatever you post on the other sites. Also start a build thread here over in the build thread section. We all love pictures of mustangs and we love what others do with their mustangs or vehicles. Welcome along
Thanks! Unfortunately it’s not letting upload photos right now just keeps saying there’s an error.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Good to know! Ill pass this along! I dont think I can adjust what the issue is but others will definitely know what to do.

Last edited:

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
“It’s the other application for Mystic that has the Secret Service standing by; the same paint going on that Mustang was used to print the U.S. $100 bill.”

“The solution was to first check the VIN of any car being repaired to ensure it was actually a Mystic Cobra, and then to dispatch a supervisor. The supervisor could be a trusted Ford or BASF employee, but often Treasury and Secret Service agents were also sent into the field. They’d guard the paint, even helping with post-paint cleanup to ensure every drop of Mystic was accounted for.”

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
“It’s the other application for Mystic that has the Secret Service standing by; the same paint going on that Mustang was used to print the U.S. $100 bill.”

“The solution was to first check the VIN of any car being repaired to ensure it was actually a Mystic Cobra, and then to dispatch a supervisor. The supervisor could be a trusted Ford or BASF employee, but often Treasury and Secret Service agents were also sent into the field. They’d guard the paint, even helping with post-paint cleanup to ensure every drop of Mystic was accounted for.”

Yea those days are over and the American bills have since changed you can easily obtain mystic paint today

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
When you say repainted, is the clear coming off? Or scratched really bad. It's amazing what some compound and a da can do.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Yea those days are over and the American bills have since changed you can easily obtain mystic paint today
I think you can still buy color shifting paint at the local auto parts chains. I remember how commonly odd it was in the late 90s to see random vehicles that would be green with an orange door, but if you looked that the car from a different angle, it was orange with a green door. I guess the door was painted off the car.

OP
OP
Mysticcobra

Mysticcobra

Reaction score
When you say repainted, is the clear coming off? Or scratched really bad. It's amazing what some compound and a da can do.
Someone repainted the bumper and did a horrible paint job. Orange peel is very bad. I went to school for paint so I personally want to redo it or else it’ll bother me.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think you can still buy color shifting paint at the local auto parts chains. I remember how commonly odd it was in the late 90s to see random vehicles that would be green with an orange door, but if you looked that the car from a different angle, it was orange with a green door. I guess the door was painted off the car.
Oh man . I’ve gotta Camaro with one those ugly colour shifting paint jobs that’s not so easy on the eyes like mystic or mystichrome . Everyone thinks I bought it to go with my mystic . I took it as payment on money owed .

I remember you could find that stuff in a spay can at autozone or whatever

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
pretty bad very textured. I could try but it’s not evenly sprayed on or anything.
If you don’t feel comfortable, go to a collision center or paint shop and get a quote on how much it would cost to wet sand, or if that’s even an option. The trouble with doing it yourself is going from gloss shiny to something smooth but dull. You could try to rub compound over it, but worry about burning through the paint, if you haven’t already done so already.

OP
OP
Mysticcobra

Mysticcobra

Reaction score
If you don’t feel comfortable, go to a collision center or paint shop and get a quote on how much it would cost to wet sand, or if that’s even an option. The trouble with doing it yourself is going from gloss shiny to something smooth but dull. You could try to rub compound over it, but worry about burning through the paint, if you haven’t already done so already.
I went to school for paint so I rather not pay someone for something I could do. The problem is whoever repainted the front bumper did a terrible job.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online