Paint question

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Doing some touch up on my step-sons 99 GT. Repainting the door and will blend it but have a question about sanding. I'm not planning on painting the whole door or quarter panel but have sanded both to 400 grit. Plan is to spray base on the touch up area then spray the whole door and quarter with clear. Will you tell the difference between the fresh paint that was not sanded and the original area that was sanded even after the clear is sprayed over it?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you didn't sand through the color, and you get a good match of color and blend it well you should not be able to tell other than the fresh stuff might be a tad shinier than the old parts you did not paint(if ya do it right)

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Cool. After I posted this I realized this IS blending...lol. So should be fine. Any parts I went through the color I am re-painting. The clear on the rear bumper and drivers side skirt was peeling and the drivers door was a shade lighter so started off only painting those but when it's all said and done we are going to be painting over 1/2 the car. Had I known this I would have just painted the whole car.
I have painted whole cars before but never blended so not real certain of the process.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
your never going to trick a paint pro, but you can trick 98% of the people out there. I use to install car audio at a place that rented the install bay space from a company that did automotive detailing and a limo service. One day one of their limo drivers pulled up and was showing off his brand new truck, fresh off the lot with the paper sticker still in the window. It looked cherry to me but almost as soon as he pulled up the detail guys gave it a strange look and asked why it had been repainted in a few spots? The driver looked confused as they started to show what pieces had been reshot, even finding masking tape on the bottom of the panel. The driver was livid because it was his first completely new vehicle purchase and this took the wind out of his sails to know his "new" truck had already been repaired to the point they could tell.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Back around 1991 a guy my mother was going out with had a new 1990 Grand Prix SE Turbo. He owned a plumbing business so had leased the car just for those times he couldn't drive his company truck. Him and my mother had been together for about a year and she had a brand new car so he was just waiting for the lease to end to get rid of it. One night I was at her house and backing out of the driveway. The streets there are narrow and nobody ever parked along the street. So I'm backing up in my 1979 1500 GMC and thought...wonder where Bruce's car is. Just then I hit my brakes and felt a thump. Yep, busted his headlight and wrinkled the hood. That hood alone back then was over $1000. Car had about 7000 miles on it and had already went through a set of back tires even though it was front wheel drive. Took the car to my buddies house who owns a body shop and as soon as he popped the hood he said the car had been wrecked and repaired. I said 'can't be, he got it new'. Turns out he got it with 3000 miles on it and he was told it was a demo that a salesman drove. There was a replacement parts sticker inside the drivers front fender that said York Pontiac in Buffalo, NY. My mother called York saying she was thinking of buying the car but found this sticker. They told her the car had over $7000 damage and that they had repaired it. Turns out the car was sold to Enterprise or some other rental car company and wrecked. York Pontiac ended up with it somehow and repaired it then Unis in Aliquippa, PA someone got it and sold it as new. York never tried to hide anything but Unis denied everything and told him too bad, not our problem. Apparently Unis had been made aware of the repair but they never disclosed it. So my mother called Pontiac corporate and they sent a rep down to Unis and cancelled his lease and offered to waive first and last months payments on any vehicle on their lot that he wanted to lease. He declined cause he didn't need another vehicle at that time so they took the wrecked car back. I never had to pay to get it fixed and he thanked me for hitting it...lol

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
my friend the limo driver tried to take it up with the dealership and they told him to kick rocks. He got a large vinyl sign to go in the backwindow saying "XXXX ripped me off on this truck". 2 weeks later he got a C&D letter from the dealership telling him to take it down. He changed it to say that they sold him a new damaged truck and then told them to fix it or kick rocks in a reply letter. They never replied.

Slice

Reaction score
Cease and desist letters are worthless. They cost 10 cents to produce. If they wanted to go after you they'd have to spend a shitload of money on lawyers. Remember, you are dealing with shiny shoe bastards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online