Swapping engine between GT and Cobra

jamesd

Reaction score
Hello all!
I've just joined the forum and would love some help if possible! I did a lot of searches but this might be a unique question..
The idea is to swap engines between a 1994 GT and 1994 Cobra. I have a little experience, but not enough, so I've been doing a lot of research and trying to find someone to help with this.
The GT is stock and was told that we would have to swap out the ecu/pcm and wiring harness from both cars. I had thought that we could just get each car tuned and avoid this.
Can anyone weigh in here? Offer any advice?
I'm in San Diego by the way.
Thanks!!

Last edited:

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What's your goals here?

Swapping the motor is very doable, it's the same motor besides the top end. Wiring harness is the same between the two. The ECU is different, but it's basically just the tune. Getting the car tuned on either requires some hard-to-find/outdated tech (Tweecer, Moates Quarterhorse, etc) if using the factory ECU. Micro/megasquirt setups or Holley is the way to go for a more modern ECU and easier tuning. I'm running a Microsquirt on my car, ~$550 for a plug-n-play ECU, it does require a wideband O2 sensor that's not included but you'd want that if you're going to be serious about getting a tune dialed in either way.

I've got no advice for doing it legally in California, but more power can be had going aftermarket - I don't know what the budget is or what you're snagging a Cobra motor for cost wise - but there's not a huge HP difference between a stock GT and a stock Cobra motor, I think they were factory rated like 25-30hp difference.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
It’s pretty much the same engine makes a couple more horse torques

OP
OP
J

jamesd

Reaction score
Thanks Legend!!!
His motor is built, mine is stock so it would make the car much more drivable!! Wanted to get a sense of what I was getting myself into!
Didn't think I had to do the harness but glad I don't have to!

OP
OP
J

jamesd

Reaction score
Now just have to figure out how to improve the suspension- my gf got dizzy from our last trip from all the bouncing haha!! I appreciate the help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online