Timing Help

Thyme

Reaction score
Decided to replacing the timing chain, tensioners, and guides today. Took the chains off and realized I'd f-ed up. Timing marks for the sprockets were facing inboard. As far as I'm aware, I should be able to rotate the cams to the appropriate position and lock them in place, but I'm assuming there would be PTV contact. Is there a position that I can rotate the crank to where I can safely rotate the cams? Any help would be appreciated, I don't want to turn this into an engine out ordeal.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Put the key way on the crankshaft in the 9 o’clock position. That will put all the pistons below deck, then you can rotate the cams. Just do it slowly and make sure it won’t hit a valve.

Or, you could pop the rockers out.

Then you’ll position the cams and time accordingly. Do you know how to set the timing up?

OP
OP
Thyme

Thyme

Reaction score
Put the key way on the crankshaft in the 9 o’clock position. That will put all the pistons below deck, then you can rotate the cams. Just do it slowly and make sure it won’t hit a valve.

Or, you could pop the rockers out.

Then you’ll position the cams and time accordingly. Do you know how to set the timing up?
Did exactly as you said and everything worked out perfectly, thanks!

As for the timing. I lined the 2 master links on the chain with the corresponding marks on the cam sprockets & crank gears. Engine is totally stock right now, but once this timing business is finished I'm moving on to an intake swap.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Did exactly as you said and everything worked out perfectly, thanks!

As for the timing. I lined the 2 master links on the chain with the corresponding marks on the cam sprockets & crank gears. Engine is totally stock right now, but once this timing business is finished I'm moving on to an intake swap.
Good deal.

Do you want to post pictures of your timing marks, just to double check?

Im sure you’ve got it right, it just helps to have more eyes on it.

OP
OP
Thyme

Thyme

Reaction score
Good deal.

Do you want to post pictures of your timing marks, just to double check?

Im sure you’ve got it right, it just helps to have more eyes on it.

Attachments

• DSC_0048.JPG
    DSC_0048.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0049.JPG
    DSC_0049.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0050.JPG
    DSC_0050.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 4

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Looks good to me. As long as your back chain is correct on the crank sprocket, you should be fine. And don’t forget the crank sensor tone wheel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online