Ultimate side exhaust thread...

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I'm trying to consolidate any and all SN95 side exit exhaust data in one spot. I'm looking for first hand experience with side exit exhaust set-ups. This is not V6 or V8 specific, it is not pushrod or mod-motor specific.

Pictures, please. Lots of pictures of exhaust routing, specs of which kit, or what muffler/pipe combinations people have used to build their own, etc.

Videos of how it sounds would be greatly appreciated, as well.

Detailed description of clearance issues or fitment. If you are using subframe connectors, how did you get around them? Long tube collector ground clearance compared to side exit ground clearance.

Any and all data that may be useful for anyone thinking about going this route. Please try keep it as useful and informative as possible. Maybe we can get a sticky containing all things side exhaust.

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
I use to run side exhaust a while ago. I ran it for a while but with it being my daily and wanting to go lower I switched back to rear exits. My setup consisted of a hacked up dr. gas x pipe into magnapacks, then 90° 2.5" bends into dual 3.5" angle cut tips. It was loud and I always smelled like fumes if I had my windows down, plus I couldnt be this low. 0/10 would not do again
4511025.jpg

4511024.jpg

7210046.jpg

7210049.jpg

Damn I forgot how 4x4 I use to be

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Oh boy. My side exhaust might be too much but at the end of the day it's still an option. I've always wanted that race car side exit so I decided to fabricate my own. Rather then repost all the info and pics here you can check it out in my build thread here. Starts on page 4 post #77 and stops on page 5 on post #81 with a video attached.

http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?67772-Swords-Evolution/page4

OP
OP
D

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Hotmustang, you took side exhaust to a new level. I love it. It's one of the reasons I voted for your car in this month's ROTM contest. Bringing the pipe through the floor is genius.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I don't have many pics of the car from the bottom. The full exhaust is at the time of the vid BBK shorty headers to a Magnaflow High-flow catted X going to dynomax side exhaust mufflers. The cut outs are after the cats, but before the muffler so it is not super crazy loud but it has a nice sound. I am looking to switch to ceramic headers, damn I miss that sound.....
[video=youtube;GV68IN3XbY8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV68IN3XbY8[/video]

ReplicaR

Reaction score
[MENTION=10867]sleepn_sn95[/MENTION], can we get a better shot of what the underside looks like? Also, are you running subframe connectors?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am running the spintech stepped sub frame weld in connectors. You can see them a little in the video.

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
sleepn_sn95, can we get a better shot of what the underside looks like? Also, are you running subframe connectors?

Sorry the side exhaust is long gone and I never got any pics from under it. I was not running sfc's at the time.

I basically had the x pipe cut right after the 'x' portion then the mufflers welded directly to that. After the mufflers there were 90 degree bends to the sides of the car

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Not my car but basically where I got the idea from and what mine looked like

CIMG1463.jpg

CIMG1459.jpg

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Looks difficult / impossible with subframe connectors. Thanks for the photos.

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
ReplicaR if you go look through Dan's (95riosnake) build thread over on the unnamed sn95 forum he built his side exhaust around an entire stifflers fit system I believe

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Btw's my original plan was to go with Nascar style side exhaust. Those square ones. The reason I didn't do it was because of my subframes. The exhaust would've been pushed further down towards the road. Would've looked ugly so separated from the body and left no clearance. It's why I went up into the car with it and out the body.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Btw's my original plan was to go with Nascar style side exhaust. Those square ones. The reason I didn't do it was because of my subframes. The exhaust would've been pushed further down towards the road. Would've looked ugly so separated from the body and left no clearance. It's why I went up into the car with it and out the body.

Could you post some pictures of how you routed the exhaust please?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I was afraid it would be like this. That wouldn't really work with Torque Arm in place.

OP
OP
D

DavidBoren

Reaction score
ReplicaR, combine what you see in the pictures. Cut your X-pipe/H-pipe and mount cylindrical mufflers directly after the "X" (or H). Run 90° bends off the mufflers up through the floor and out the sides. The only thing keeping you from running hotmustang's set-up with a torque arm, is he has the Y-pipe so both mufflers exit the passenger side. If you kept it dual exhaust, your torque arm will be a non-issue.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I'm sure I can come up with something, I'm just trying to evaluate if it's worth the trouble. The idea was to keep it light, and get rid of a few bends in the exhaust.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online