V6 dual exhaust options

carbuff

Reaction score
My 98 v6 vert is too quiet. Its no race car but I like to hear the exhaust a bit when the top is down. So my question is, will any of those kits out there that keep the stock y pipe make my v6 sound any better? Its the simplest option for me as I can install it myself. Is it a waste of money? Do I have to go with the h pipe adapter and v8 cat back setup to get a decent sound? Will the y pipe setup sound ricey? I hate that fart can muffler sound. Lol.

belber095

Legend
Reaction score
i was in the same situation and tight on cash, so as a free, temporary solution, i took of the catback and i'm running an oopen y pipe. it's no v8, but it sounds a hell of a lot better than stock. if you're willing to spend the cash, get an midpipe made for your year 3.8 and a catback. that will probably give you the best sound.

o/r pipes tend to sound better than catted midpipes btw.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Keep in mind I have the 4.2 v6 with cam, but this is my set up

Mac Cat Back w/polished tips
Pacesetter H-pipe

Exhaust video is in my sig below.

OP
OP
carbuff

carbuff

Reaction score
Orange, I saw that video in the v6 section. Sounds good, I can definitely hear the cam. Belber, I dont have a photobucket and cant hear your clip. Ive had cars though where the catback fell off. LOL. You dont find a loss in power with no exhaust system on a stock motor? Usually the pedal gets mushy. And 5.0, thats the system I had my eye on. Theres one on ebay with $100 start bid. I was gonna keep my eye on that. But the one you posted looks good with that coupon for a little over 3 bills. Im not too keen on the raspy high rpm sound but my car is an automatic and Im mainly concerned with the idle-3000 rpm sound. That system looks easy to install too as it comes apart in many places.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I think the mac makes the sixxers sound deep and not rapsy at all. All depends on what your goin for soundwise tho

belber095

Legend
Reaction score
[MENTION=17578]carbuff[/MENTION]
i can feel a loss in power above 3500 rpms, but i usually shift by then. and you should be able to click the llink and it'll let you watch it. it's public.
[MENTION=17578]carbuff[/MENTION]
i can feel a loss in power above 3500 rpms, but i usually shift by then. and you should be able to click the llink and it'll let you watch it. it's public.

OP
OP
carbuff

carbuff

Reaction score
So, I just "won" an auction for a mac catback system for the 98 3.8, Its the simple one that bolts to my single outlet y pipe. The only catch is that the auction ended at $135 shipped for the whole system. Im awaiting the "out of stock" notification any minute. LOL. Ive read a few things about this particular seller that dont leave me very confident that the deal will go through. I mean why do a no reserve auction with a $100 starting bid on such a niche item. What did they expect? Idk, maybe its just laying around and he wants to unload it. We will see. Wish me luck. Lol.

OP
OP
carbuff

carbuff

Reaction score
So I got a message from the seller. he claims its been shipped! Hooray, I think. No tracking number and its not been marked as shipped on ebay. so until it shows up its still just a short term loan of $135 as far as im concerned. lol. I have serious ebay trust issues.. lol

OP
OP
carbuff

carbuff

Reaction score
Well, its arrived!! I like being proven wrong like this. The box was a bit beat up but the system is all intact and complete. Im actually shocked that they honored this auction. $135 shipped? Holy crap, Im stoked. Heres a pic. I included my newly painted sway bar too because it will be installed at the same time. I have to give mad props to Laurelmountain Mustang in Pa. for honoring this price. I had my doubts but they proved me wrong. Ebay, ftw! Lol.

macwy.jpg

I just have to cobble together a few hangers for the passenger side until I find the right ones. I dont foresee any issues with that. The hardest part will be getting the car setup to work on in my gravel driveway. Jackstands, you say? We got railroad ties, mofo! LOL.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
what have you been screwed with on ebay before? never had any of the problems you talk about. Looks like it was a good deal for mac products though for sure.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Holy crap $135 is a steal lol. Nice buy! Does that place happen to have a regular website?

OP
OP
carbuff

carbuff

Reaction score
what have you been screwed with on ebay before? never had any of the problems you talk about. Looks like it was a good deal for mac products though for sure.

Ive won items for super low prices only to have the seller claim the item was out of stock or that it had sold locally. Mainly buying guitars. Ive mostly had great experiences on ebay. This was one of them.

OP
OP
carbuff

carbuff

Reaction score
Geez. My mustang is still in the driveway with a half installed exhaust. Waiting on some stock hangers from ebay and the good old usps sent them to the wrong post office. So now I have to wait for them to go back to the sorting station, then to me. 2 more days at least. All this nice sunny weather too.