1996 Cobra Speed Calibrator

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
Grey/black for the signal wire. The wire going towards the engine is the one going to transmission. I also tapped into the red power wire. You can get the speed cal wires from the website

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

grey black is in a harness there on the passenger side engine compartment in a harness? then, which of the speedcal wires to to that? what color wire from what towards the engine, goes to the tranny? thanx.

OP
OP
cobraman

cobraman

Reaction score
Yep it is a 16pin connector. I cut back some of the wrap about 6 inches. Cut grey/black wire. Speed cal green wire to grey/black wire going to tranny. Speed cal white going to grey/black back into harness. Then red to 12v ignition wire. Then black to ground.

OP
OP
cobraman

cobraman

Reaction score
No problem good luck! Note this applies to 1996 cobra not sure of any other years.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
that is what it is for. now I just to need to find the old unit!! thx again!!

oh, one more thing....how do you know what to set it to inside the unit. when this was in my old car, it has been years ago. I don't remember much about it. we are pretty sure the car has 4.10's in it that it is going into.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
don't remember, I think it came from a company that sold them out of Texas...trying to remember the name..it is or was a big Mustang supply company and I think it had it's own name on it, but think it was a ford racing part. I have to find it and look at it.

just remembered, at least part...Dallas Mustang or something like that.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
So I got one too.. Was pissed to see what I paid $140 for.... But it works, speedo is dead on so it is what it is.. To set the little dials inside the box, take your old gear divided by the new one. You say there's 4.10s now, figure out what the car came with stock. If it came with 2.73s, do 2.73 divided by 4.10 , rounded to the nearest hundreth and your 3 digit code is 067.

OP
OP
cobraman

cobraman

Reaction score
Yeah price is a bit much but I did my research and felt better about getting that one. The cobra I have stock is 327 and it has 410 so I set my dials to 080. Tested it with phone app and was accurate.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
found mine, it is a Brothers brand which is really Ford Racing...might have bought it from Dallas, anyway, problem is...has 5 wires: grey, black, red, white, green. not sure then about this one, maybe just not use the grey????

OP
OP
cobraman

cobraman

Reaction score
I think the brothers is made by dallasmustang. Its not the ford racing one. If u go to their website there should be some wiring diagrams.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
I had checked Dallas Mustang earlier today and they only list the Ford Racing one now. I have had this one for quite awhile so may have to just search the net for some older install details. I wrote Brothers Performance tonite already to see what they say. Thanx for the followup.

OP
OP
cobraman

cobraman

Reaction score
No problem. I do a lot of research before I do something that's what I bought the ford racing one. I'm sure the other will work just a different install. I know there are some instructions on it somewhere

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
I generally am the same way. I bought this probably like around 10 years ago. at the time, it was one of the recommended ones available. worked fine, just went to changing it in the tuner when I had cams and tune put in my old car. held onto it since...you never know and here we are, friend of mine could use it in his car. I searched some, but wound up also sending an email to Dallas Mustang. hopefully, one of the two can tell me which wires to use. I assume black and red did not change and probably the green.

OP
OP
cobraman

cobraman

Reaction score
No problem. Good luck. I currently don't have any way to get under my car it sits too low so another reason for me to go with the ford one. Easy install under hood. I think the Dallas one u have to get under it and do a bit more

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
Thanx!!. Yeah, probably, but then it will be much harder anyway since I can't do the plugs since they are gone. I may wait and see if either Dallas or Brothers answers me and see if I can do it from up top like you did. most of the same wires, I would think, would be there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruby Stang

Members online

No members online now.