5.4 with mach 1 heads swap

OP
OP
D

dannyboy1999

Reaction score
Someone with more knowledge on that will chime in. I have not swapped from coil and wires to COP.
Also i have a 99 cobra intake manifold i know the 99 cobras and up have the same ports as the mach 1's and my heads are mach 1's heads but since the deck is more wide cause the bigger block does that mean it wont fit and what intake mainfold would fit ?or is their any adapter plates?

Attachments

• received_4021568161403721.jpeg
    received_4021568161403721.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Adapter plate were made. I remember plates were made for use of a stock 4.6 4v intakes and adapters for a coyote manifold. Keep in mind that is not the same plates. You might get lucky sourcing out a Sullivan 5.4l 4v intake, but you will pay dearly. A sullivan 4.6v version and adapter plates will work too,...or......hear me out....cut the 4.6l sullivan in half and widen it to match the 5.4l, since they are more available and still pricey. Most do the coyote Boss style manifold with their specific adapter plates.
Another route and this method is what folks were doing way back when modulars came out, is the lower navigator manifold and an upper lid off a cobra manifold. The navi intake is huge. Has an upper and lower. People make a plate to mount ontop of the lower navi and adapt a 4.6l cobra manifold lid/throttle mount on to the plate. So you do have some options.

OP
OP
D

dannyboy1999

Reaction score
Adapter plate were made. I remember plates were made for use of a stock 4.6 4v intakes and adapters for a coyote manifold. Keep in mind that is not the same plates. You might get lucky sourcing out a Sullivan 5.4l 4v intake, but you will pay dearly. A sullivan 4.6v version and adapter plates will work too,...or......hear me out....cut the 4.6l sullivan in half and widen it to match the 5.4l, since they are more available and still pricey. Most do the coyote Boss style manifold with their specific adapter plates.
Another route and this method is what folks were doing way back when modulars came out, is the lower navigator manifold and an upper lid off a cobra manifold. The navi intake is huge. Has an upper and lower. People make a plate to mount ontop of the lower navi and adapt a 4.6l cobra manifold lid/throttle mount on to the plate. So you do have some options.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I havent looked in a while....ok its probably been 15years since I last remember adapter plates being available to adapt 4.6l 4v to a 5.4.

TTSaleen

Reaction score
I did a coil on plug conversion on my 98.
However that happened once I went to the Holley Terminator-X computer and harness.
I simply used stock 99-04 4 valve coil on plugs from Ford.

I know they used to make a kit for converting from plug wires to the COP, but I haven't researched that in years.
It cleans up the engine bay, but in all reality the coils you have and just some plug wires will work fine.
I made over 1,200hp with that setup previously on my stock 98 (GT) computer.

Ryan

Dsmless

Reaction score
I just used a coyote intake manifold with the stock coyote injectors and dbw throttle body ontop of adapter plates for my 5.4 4valve swap. This is into a 70 mustang. Join the 5.4 swap facebook group as I see the adapter plates for 4.6 to 5.4 pop up for sale sometimes

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I just used a coyote intake manifold with the stock coyote injectors and dbw throttle body ontop of adapter plates for my 5.4 4valve swap. This is into a 70 mustang. Join the 5.4 swap facebook group as I see the adapter plates for 4.6 to 5.4 pop up for sale sometimes
We need you to post some pictures of this setup!

OP
OP
D

dannyboy1999

Reaction score
What kind of compression ratio u looking at ? Cause i have a 5.4 4v that i want to do N/A header, big cams, 302 boss manifold or 18 gt mainfold dont really know what route ima take with the i take but what compression ratios am i looking at ?

Dsmless

Reaction score
What kind of compression ratio u looking at ? Cause i have a 5.4 4v that i want to do N/A header, big cams, 302 boss manifold or 18 gt mainfold dont really know what route ima take with the i take but what compression ratios am i looking at ?
Since I used a complete navigator 5.4 its still at the stock 9.5 to 1 ratio. Using a coyote intake will not change the ratio. Im not sure were the comp ratio will end up if you use c port heads but Im sure it will end up closer to 10:1

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Unless this build will be for a trailer queen specific race car class and high comp ratio naturally aspirated engine, dont root to much about comp ratio with a 5.4l. Keeping the comp ratio mild,....something under 11.5-1 will favor available fuels and driving conditions. It sucks to be any higher compression and worry about engine stability especially on them hot days.

Zero deck pistons are priced around $900 for Diamond brand. That includes rings and pins. Not a bad price at all! Youll want to upgrade the rods over stock. The stock rods have a bad history with above factory power levels. The down fall is additional rotational weight. Youll want to get a machine shop on hand to balance the assembly.

Just my .02 worth of advice