94 5.0GT parking brake spring issues

JohnnyMac

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I live in the UK and my 94 GT has developed a parking brake problem in that the handle pulls fully on but the parking brake barely holds on a hill. I’m aware that this is an issue and recently I had the recall plate fitted along with new cables which haven’t made much difference. It seems to me that the spring has lost some of its tension and I’ve read that it’s possible to re tension it, if so, does anyone know the exact procedure and do you have to remove the handle from the car to do it? Thanks in advance, John .IMG_2095.jpegIMG_2097.jpeg

07GtS197

Reaction score
I did it a long time ago on my old 00 gt. There is a bolt that you have to loosen then put more tension on the spring. You have to be careful as when you remove the bolt the spring will start to lose tension.

OP
OP
JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac

Reaction score
Can you do it in the car or is it a bench job?

OP
OP
JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac

Reaction score
Excellent thank you. I think that is the cause of my badly functioning parking brake

OP
OP
JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac

Reaction score
Pads are ok callipers are new and cables are new ! P brake pulls right on all the way up and just holds on a hill and no more

OP
OP
JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac

Reaction score
I’ve had the console out it and had a closer look. Problem seem to me is that the handle is near to the top of the ratchet rather than lifting from the bottom teeth. I’ve tried to lose it down but when I release the tension in the handle the toothed wheel snaps down and the handle only returns to the same position. Do I need to take the cable off at the handle need to enable the toothed disc to rotate backwards thus enabling the handle end to bite lower down? IMG_2109.jpegIMG_2107.jpeg

OP
OP
JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac

Reaction score
I think I’ll put an aftermarket electric handbrake in it, don’t think the original system will ever work well enough for the UK MOT

pops

Reaction score
Look on YouTube for sn95 parking brake fix. Done by Neil rogers. Quite simple if you already have the bit to fix . You do have to trim the ratchet to get it to work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annlynjnes01

Members online

No members online now.