Brake Kit or Originals

Monday

Reaction score
So, my question is "Are the original '96 GT brakes - I still have them - better than most replacement Performance kits? I have AutoShack Brake Kit. I have other drilled and slotted rotors and I am keeping those on regardless. But, are the original brakes pretty much as good than most kits if they are duly and properly repaired? OR better??

Thanks

OP
OP
Monday

Monday

Reaction score
Thanks for these answers car guyses :)

I think I have a plan now. I'll refurb the stock brakes - front/back - and sell them with some new oem rotors. Maybe the stock control arms too while at it.

Yeah

Thanks again for the replies

badass98svt

Reaction score
Why would you buy new rotors, just to turn around and sell them anyway?

07GtS197

Reaction score
Not trying to be a Debbie downer but I doubt you’ll get much interest in them. If I were in your shoes I’d try ss brake lines and a set of quality pads before dropping some coin on a big brake kit. If money isn’t a factor then yeah the cobra brakes are the way to go. I have them on my 02 gt and it stops the best out of any sn95 I’ve ever owned.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if your not going to be racing again the stock brakes are fine for daily driving. If you just want to make them look better consider a quick paint. If it is a performance thing then a cobra upgrade is easy and both looks and performs better.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Not every aftermarket brake kit is better than OEM. Many are equivalent.

I'm also a little confused by your plan. Sell what's worth anything as-is, and let the next guy update/replace what's necessary. I wouldn't pay top dollar for something someone else bought new or "refurbed" for two reasons: I won't know if the rebuild was done right, and I won't have a warranty on the new parts.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if cosmetics is all that you are after while most of us frown on them they do make caliper covers that just make them look nicer. They do not add any performance, just looks. Baer also makes a nice 6 piston 14" kit for the front if you want both performance and looks.

NEURON

Reaction score
Which Performance Kits are you talking about specifically, that is a pretty broad term.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I kept the stock Cobra brakes on my ‘95. Just upgraded to Akebono brake pads, which bite very well.

badass98svt

Reaction score
I have a pair of Cadillac ATS Brembos, and the correct bushing kit. Just not sure I want to go this route. I may just sell it.

badass98svt

Reaction score
This is the cheapest most effective brake upgrade. Wheels with the correct offset are the key to install.

Yes. My new wheels would require a 1/8" spacer, so I'm going to go a different route. I'm not big on using spacers on the wheels.

OP
OP
Monday

Monday

Reaction score
Is this them?

Attachments

• Cadillac ATS Brembo.jpg
    Cadillac ATS Brembo.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 10

delling3

Reaction score
I am going with a set of Cobra calipers/rotors, with SS braided brake lines up front, and retaining the stock binders in the back. I know it is less than ideal, but I think more than adequate for my needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jd96gt

Members online