Cold Air Intakes..................

from6to8

Reaction score
You’re going to call to confirm that. Most people confirm with real life testing .
I'm going to call around to tuners to see what their opinion on the matter is LOL.. yeah if I had to wait to test sure

from6to8

Reaction score
I wouldn't put those no-name/Spectre filters on my vacuum cleaner.
So a paper filter is better? As in the stock filter? Seems like a lot of research earlier said some guys rather run a paper stock filter over k&n LOL

95opal

Reaction score
So a paper filter is better? As in the stock filter? Seems like a lot of research earlier said some guys rather run a paper stock filter over k&n LOL
Just get the biggest filter you can fit.

from6to8

Reaction score
Start watching this @ 8:46,and you'll see why.

I actually watched that video well I didn't watch that video but one of the threads someone shared the video and so that's why I was up the mindset that the filter that comes with even the lower end cold air intake should suffice. Now I know that video was talking about the quality or if one versus the other but still my question remains and I know some have said get the biggest filter you can, but in your opinion will the ones that come at those cais work fine? The car is a non-track car mostly weekend driver I'm expecting around about hopefully 350 to the wheels

shovel

Reaction score
I can't help noticing that the air filter part number for the 5.8l cobra r is the same as the air filter part number for the 3.8l v6

ford put a lot of money into making the cobra r more powerful than the gt or even the 5.0 cobra... changing to a different air filter arrangement would have been cheap if it made more power.
1725988507814.png
1725988547198.png
1725988582840.png

Last edited:

from6to8

Reaction score
I can't help noticing that the air filter part number for the 5.8l cobra r is the same as the air filter part number for the 3.8l v6

ford put a lot of money into making the cobra r more powerful than the gt or even the 5.0 cobra... changing to a different air filter arrangement would have been cheap if it made more power.
View attachment 37440
View attachment 37441
View attachment 37442
maybe the size of the air filter doesn't make a difference lol

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I design filters for a living.

I think some of you are overthinking this but generally speaking there are trade-offs in the filter world when it comes to filtering gas. If you want good flow, you tend to sacrifice particle retention (the ability to actually filter). If you want a filter to actually trap particles, flow tends to be poor.

Most testing usually shows that K&N type filters will flow the best, but don' trap particle as well. K&N tries to help the filter by adding oil, but it can only do so much.

Another method of increasing flow through a filter is by adding filter membrane surface area, in other words a big ass filter. A big honking conical in the bay will certainly draw a lot of air, but then you run into other issues with heat from the engine and fan wash and such.

Nobody has made the perfect air filter yet so you really need to decide do you want flow, or do you want the filter to actually filter.

On my H/C/I 302 Fox, i run a stock airbox tube with a K&N filter, as I mainly drive that car on sunny days on clean, well-maintained roads. On my daily driver '00 GT, i run a stock Ford motorcraft filter because I've driven it down dusty roads and other roads where there is crap i'd rather keep out of my engine.

from6to8

Reaction score
I design filters for a living.

I think some of you are overthinking this but generally speaking there are trade-offs in the filter world when it comes to filtering gas. If you want good flow, you tend to sacrifice particle retention (the ability to actually filter). If you want a filter to actually trap particles, flow tends to be poor.

Most testing usually shows that K&N type filters will flow the best, but don' trap particle as well. K&N tries to help the filter by adding oil, but it can only do so much.

Another method of increasing flow through a filter is by adding filter membrane surface area, in other words a big ass filter. A big honking conical in the bay will certainly draw a lot of air, but then you run into other issues with heat from the engine and fan wash and such.

Nobody has made the perfect air filter yet so you really need to decide do you want flow, or do you want the filter to actually filter.

On my H/C/I 302 Fox, i run a stock airbox tube with a K&N filter, as I mainly drive that car on sunny days on clean, well-maintained roads. On my daily driver '00 GT, i run a stock Ford motorcraft filter because I've driven it down dusty roads and other roads where there is crap i'd rather keep out of my engine.
My cars don't see dirt roads and if so it might be a dirt drive that's not really dusty/I don't drive fast down it lol.

Is it so that a smaller filter like the one that came with the CAI that I bought would cost me 5-10 hp vs a larger K&N?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
years ago I lived in AZ and we had an RC airplane field right next door. It was too close to not take advantage of and was fun(but expensive) but the runway was a decomposed granite topping. Regular airplanes with props had no problems but when the ducted fans(electric jet basically) became popular sometimes the landing gear would knock some of the pebbles up and they would get sucked into the duct and eat the fan blade. A couple of guys experimented with adding some mesh in front of the duct but it was surprising that even a fairly open mesh would interfere with the airflow enough that some of them could not get the airspeed needed to get off the ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex_Meraz

Members online