Differences between 99-01 Cobra V8 and 03-04 Cobra V8?

Jman2025

Reaction score
Besides the obvious factory supercharged, are there any other big differences? I'm not looking to keep the engine stock, so I didn't know if both these engines would deliver the same power given the same upgrades and whatnot.

Also, are 99-01 Cobra v8s able to use the Whipple Supercharger or no?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Last edited:

joemomma

Reaction score
I think there were some differences in the heads, but I wouldn't swear to it. Some of the 4V guys here will know for sure.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
heads for sure
some of the 03 04 were supercharged terminator
gears were also different i believe and short shaft axle 03 04
interior was a little different
the engines are all same platform design
thats about all i got

OP
OP
Jman2025

Jman2025

Reaction score
heads for sure
some of the 03 04 were supercharged terminator
gears were also different i believe and short shaft axle 03 04
interior was a little different
the engines are all same platform design
thats about all i got
I saw an 01 cobra engine for sale that I was interested in, but didn't know if it would deliver as much as a 03-04 one once fully modded and stuff.

Motorhead4ever

Reaction score
The blocks are drastically different too . The 99-01 aluminum Cobra block is a WAP block with a noticeably smaller water pump port to give coolant to the heads. Another drawback is pumping HP to these blocks without cracking them- 600 is about their max out point without some serious work by a racing shop performing some major work on them. Teskid block is a much stouter base to build from if you do an aluminum block. The 03-04 terminator blocks are great since they are iron blocks and Ford did this for a reason- they knew the WAP block would not hold up to years of abuse and guys wanting to upgrade their blowers. The best all around street head is the DC 9 thread version or any revision with a blue dot on the head indicating head flow improvement to eliminate hot spots in the head that causes the dreaded top end ticking. Most of the Mach 1's have AB or AC heads that do not have the cooling revision or the deeper spark plug threads as the DC heads have.

Can Do

Motorhead4ever

Reaction score
Really rare instances will you find a Teskid block in those years and only in a Cobra. Ford was phasing them out of their production line. I have a 99 teskid block in my GT 4v build and only found that at a machine shop that Big Bored it and the customer never came to pay for it. The 99 and up Teskids have wider crank journal caps and no Jackscrews to deal with. They are interference fit. The 05-10 3v mustang blocks are aftermarket Nemak aluminum blocks which are as strong as the earlier Teskid's that you could pump up to 1500 ponies. All three revisions of the Nemak were as strong-the CA-CB or CC. I would use a 3v block before any WAP block to do a higher horsepower aluminum engine build so it stays together. Bottom line is know know exactly what parts you have and how much HP you are going to pump to them or just throw your wallet in the campfire.

Can Do

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SHDOPNY

Members online