Engine misfire? *UPDATE*

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
So I just did my heater core last weekend so I doubt this is effecting it but I have a crazy misfire, it doesn’t happen during idle, only while im driving. im pulling code P0320 on my reader which is (Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit. What could be cause this and how do i fix it?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would double check the connections in the kick panels and make sure everything is both plugged in and nice and tight. It is possible the harness was knocked loose and causing problems.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Engine speed input circuit makes me think it’s something related to the crankshaft position sensor. I’ve seen where the wires on that connector soak up oil and end up touching the wires together.

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
Did coolant spill or get into the coils or plugs
If wet it will missfire
Well that could be possible. I had a heatercore bypass for the longest and when I unhooked it, coolant spilled on my hands and I looked near the injectors and coil plugs and there was dried up coolant on the valve cover and around the injector/coil plugs

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
I would double check the connections in the kick panels and make sure everything is both plugged in and nice and tight. It is possible the harness was knocked loose and causing problems.
Behind the kick panels on the driver and passenger side, which connector would control going to the crankshaft and camshaft position sensor? Is there a wire diagram? I can post a picture of all the connectors behind the kick panels.

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
It seems like it is possibly coolant got in my plugs. I pull the plug that it wouldve got into and it was slightly damp and had residue on it and was also brown (my coolant was brown when it splashed out too)

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
Now it is even worse, when I drove it a couple days ago it used to just be sputtering unload and misfiring, so like I said above, I clean that coil that the coolant got into, still nothing. Now what it does is, it sputter and misfire and pop real bad under load, I was on the highway going and the car started to misfire and I kept my foot on the gas, the gas pedal felt as if you had the car shut off and were just pressing the pedal for fun but the car was still on and misfiring, then it would stop and my pedal would feel like it has something to it. Also when i start to come to a complete stop or even just slow enough enough for that matter for example slowing down to take a turn or slowing down and stopping at a red light the car just stalls out but itll start right back up. Im at a loss with what it is doing. I was pulling that code P0320 like I said above so that made me go and get a new crank position sensor and 8 new spark plugs (my old ones were all black on the ends) I would take out the plug wipe it off, put dielectric grease on the inside and plug
It down to my new spark plugs, I did them one by one to ensure I didnt mess up the firing order. My one friends dad suggested a bad ground while my other friend suggested a bad fuel pump. What do you guys think is causing this?

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
Another thing id like to add is that now my code reader isnt even turning on when plugged into the OBD2 port but it did the other day

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
Check the crank position sensor wiring itself. Have you checked fuel pressure?
The wiring itself is okay, a little oil residue but nothing crazy. And I have not checked fuel pressure, but I will and when I do what is a good fuel pressure range for 21lb/hr injectors

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
check all connections on the back side of engine for coolant in the connections
use contact cleaner for electrical

07GtS197

Reaction score
Around 40 psi and it should be good. If you can drive with the fuel pressure gauge connected to see what the fuel pressure is under load will help narrow the issue.

95opal

Reaction score
Now it is even worse, when I drove it a couple days ago it used to just be sputtering unload and misfiring, so like I said above, I clean that coil that the coolant got into, still nothing. Now what it does is, it sputter and misfire and pop real bad under load, I was on the highway going and the car started to misfire and I kept my foot on the gas, the gas pedal felt as if you had the car shut off and were just pressing the pedal for fun but the car was still on and misfiring, then it would stop and my pedal would feel like it has something to it. Also when i start to come to a complete stop or even just slow enough enough for that matter for example slowing down to take a turn or slowing down and stopping at a red light the car just stalls out but itll start right back up. Im at a loss with what it is doing. I was pulling that code P0320 like I said above so that made me go and get a new crank position sensor and 8 new spark plugs (my old ones were all black on the ends) I would take out the plug wipe it off, put dielectric grease on the inside and plug
It down to my new spark plugs, I did them one by one to ensure I didnt mess up the firing order. My one friends dad suggested a bad ground while my other friend suggested a bad fuel pump. What do you guys think is causing this?

You have spark issues. Id suspect bad coil boots or coil packs.

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
My OBD2 port still works it is just my code reader that is bad because I have a flash tuner and it powered right up, now, then I turn the key to ACC I hear rhe fuel pump prime, same noise as its always been, will it still prime if it bad? Im still pulling the p0320 code so is it possible it is the camshaft sensor?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yes absolutely! I hate that you are chasing this down, but a bad cam sensor will immobilize the car. Its located on the front of the engine, driver side and its behind the power steering reservoir. Looks alot like a cranksensor, only shorter.

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
Yes absolutely! I hate that you are chasing this down, but a bad cam sensor will immobilize the car. Its located on the front of the engine, driver side and its behind the power steering reservoir. Looks alot like a cranksensor, only shorter.
I shall get the sensor today and see what happens and give an update, it definitely sucks chasing this down. Ive been down a car for a couple days now using my grandfather’s to get to work. I really hope its the cam sensor, like i said above ive replaced the spark plugs. Cleaned the coils, did the crank sensor. Now one more question, not sure if youd know, I have a tuner, it is an SCT X3 by bama preformance, the LCD screen is cracked on it, where could I get a replacement screen?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scooters

Members online

No members online now.