Frame damage? If so how can I fix it.

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
So a couple months ago my friend and I were on the highway and I had to slam on my brakes, it was late at night so no other cars were really around but him and I, he couldn’t stop quick enough and hit my car in the rear going about 40-50mph. Now I know theres been damage because of it I just didn’t acknowledge it that much because I wasnt in a rush to get it fixed. My trunk overlaps on my quarter panels, the gap between my bumper and taillights/trunk is obviously more than it should be, my trunk is hard to open in a sense where I have to get my hand under the lisence plate and pull out then up, and my biggest concern, where the spare tyre is supposed to go it is bent up in the middle of that well. I attached some pictures below and want to know if anyone on here does body work, if I could fix this myself or if I should just take it to a shop and how much would they charge for it on average. IMG_0396.jpegIMG_0395.jpegIMG_0394.jpegIMG_0393.jpegIMG_0392.jpegIMG_0391.jpegIMG_0390.jpegIMG_0389.jpegIMG_0388.jpeg

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
i would try adjusting the trunk lid to see if it makes any difference
and it will tell you how far off it is
there is 4 screws on the henge plates loosen and play with it

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think you would fix it by bringing it to a body shop... I can't remember what I was charged to get my core support replaced and the front frame rails straightened after my accident but it wasn't horrible. Not sure how much more/less it would be for the back end but I am not sure how any DIYer would fix that short of tying a chain around a very solid tree and finding/making a very solid mount for that chain to go onto the car and then driving it forward to pull the dent out. I had a buddy back in high school that fixed the front of his car in a similar way WAAAAY back when.

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
dose the car sit level all tires filled flat surface
so yes but also no, it sit flush when driving but when i put the front up on jackstands, in order to make it level the driver side has to be higher, but my rear sway bar is broken just on the left driver side and it has been prior to the hit so i believe that is why its like that when jacking the front up.

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
I think you would fix it by bringing it to a body shop... I can't remember what I was charged to get my core support replaced and the front frame rails straightened after my accident but it wasn't horrible. Not sure how much more/less it would be for the back end but I am not sure how any DIYer would fix that short of tying a chain around a very solid tree and finding/making a very solid mount for that chain to go onto the car and then driving it forward to pull the dent out. I had a buddy back in high school that fixed the front of his car in a similar way WAAAAY back when.
I did take it to a body shop and had th look at it, they said itd be $3,000 to fix and I just felt that was a little bit high. I could be wrong though

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea for that price I would be finding a solid tree a a buddy that could weld a mount/chain to the back of the car. I can't remember what I paid as it was a few years back now but it was not near that price.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If that price is to fix everything, then it’s “in the ballpark”. Maybe a tad high ($2500). If it’s just to straighten the frame, $3k is absurd. Should be in the $1k ballpark +/- couple hundred. Cost also depends on the shop hourly in PA. I
Here in CA it typically ranges $110-125/hr.

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
yea for that price I would be finding a solid tree a a buddy that could weld a mount/chain to the back of the car. I can't remember what I paid as it was a few years back now but it was not near that price.
yeah definitely, im just unsure where id hook it at. I do have a couple buddies who are really good and im not to terrible myself but ive only done MIG

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
If that price is to fix everything, then it’s “in the ballpark”. Maybe a tad high ($2500). If it’s just to straighten the frame, $3k is absurd. Should be in the $1k ballpark +/- couple hundred. Cost also depends on the shop hourly in PA. I
Here in CA it typically ranges $110-125/hr.
I believe it is just to straighten the frame and I feel that if youd take off the trunk and rear bumper then used a frame machine to straighten it out, everything would go back in place so like you said, 3k is absurd

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
$3k had to include both paint and removing the bumper and all that crap. If you skip the paint and bring it in with the bumper off the car already it should save a significant amount. I think that was part of my deal was that I sent it to him with no fenders/bumper/motor....

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
$3k had to include both paint and removing the bumper and all that crap. If you skip the paint and bring it in with the bumper off the car already it should save a significant amount. I think that was part of my deal was that I sent it to him with no fenders/bumper/motor....
ahhh okay. maybe ill look around and see how much shops will do it for if I did it that way, what all should I take off prior?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
The real problem I see here is, it looks like the impact is pretty center and it’s got the rear quarters pulled inward toward each other. That’s an odd situation, I don’t think a single point pull will put everything back where it needs to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jd96gt

Members online