GT-40 vs. AFR HEADS

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
i have heard good things about the patriot heads, which are decently priced, and perform quite well, but you would still need to
port out those heads where as the afrs come brand new C n C ported. there are good, slightly cheaper alternatives to the afrs (patriot, gt40x, trickflow, etc...) but AFR is top dog.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
2slo95fiveoh said:
94GTcobra said:
I know afr's are super better that gt-40's, lets say you have some gt-40p heads ported to the same flow as some afr's 165cc heads, what would be the difference.

GT40-p are the worse gt40 head. they have the straight exhaust port, and i've heard you can only run Mac?? headers
with them. they also supposedly flow less than the standard gt40 iron.
if you didn't have the $1300 for a pair of AFRs 165s, then i would look into GT40 aluminum (also called GT40X)
heads and port them.
the p heads flow alot better than stock gt 40. But it all depends on the combo and how it fits together. But the best head would be afr 185's for future add ons

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
the p heads flow alot better than stock gt 40. But it all depends on the combo and how it fits together. But the best head would be afr 185's for future add ons
[/quote]

i have heard different. i was told that the GT40P had smaller valves, and a slightly smaller Comb. Chamber, and flowed less.
anyone else care to elaborate?

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
they are confused that is why everyone got the heads off of the exploders. reg gt-40 are the worse gt-40 heads but if you have them dont switch just have them p&p. or if you can get them dirt cheap get them. you can normally get gt40 for $200 and about $250-$300 for p. I actually used the p heads on a fox and it ran 8.6 @ 82 with 2.0 60' with only 1.7rr and knock off edelbrock intake and 3.73.

Downshift

Reaction score
Just because you heard doesnt mean its true. Look at some flow numbers before you tell someone something that is not true. Smaller valves doesnt mean bad off the bat. They flow more even with smaller valves, meaning more flow and more velocity which means better for BOTH things you want. You are right, you do have to run certain headers, ford makes some and MAC do. If you can afford GT40x heads I dont see why you would waste your time, save the extra 4-500 dollars and get some AFRs. Any head over the stupid E7s will be better no doubt, more so if its Alum.

Downshift

Reaction score
And if I sounded like a dick I didnt mean too. :xmas-smiley-022:

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
5.0wned said:
Just because you heard doesnt mean its true. Look at some flow numbers before you tell someone something that is not true. Smaller valves doesnt mean bad off the bat. They flow more even with smaller valves, meaning more flow and more velocity which means better for BOTH things you want. You are right, you do have to run certain headers, ford makes some and MAC do. If you can afford GT40x heads I dont see why you would waste your time, save the extra 4-500 dollars and get some AFRs. Any head over the stupid E7s will be better no doubt, more so if its Alum.
I would put my combo up against afr combos. afrs are great but there is a big price difference too.

scott5

Reaction score
i will throw my AFR setup up against any combo out there. Got mine for 1000 bux worked with comp cam valve train and pushrods.

stang94X

Reaction score
i have ported gt40X heads and stock cam, with everything in my sig., i ran 1.8 60ft, 8.2 1/8et @ 83 mph, 12.93 1/4et @ 107 mph

Downshift

Reaction score
Found these thought it was kinda interesting. I know they are on the pricey side for Iron heads but from the flow rates they are right on track or slightly better flowing than AFR 185s. They have the same size valves as the AFRs also. Says complete head is $355, so same flowing head just not aluminum for 700 less that AFRs.... Am I missing something here?

http://www.tristatecylinderhead.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=43

Here is what I was comparing the headflow for the AFR 185s.

http://www.carbdford.com/tech/headflow.htm

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
that seems really cheap, i haven't heard anything about tri state yet, they also have a set of aluminum heads, close to the
specs of GT40X, for $550 pair assembled. it would be interesting to see how they work out.

Downshift

Reaction score
I just dont see how come those heads are not more popular when they flow the same amount as AFR 185s for half the price. I mean it cant just be that they are not all snazzy all aluminum and that they are a worked stock head. Maybe thats all it takes to make people spend 700 more? Dont know. Hope someone knows a little more about these heads.

Lebedin8654

Reaction score
i live down in ga. but i am looking into some gt40s in the next month or so can yall point me in the right direction to start looking....no way will i spend what they want for a set or afrs when i can do what i want on gt40s :xmassign:

brian95

Reaction score
I had a set of gt40 iron heads and they were ported on exhaust ports and bowls. flowed good for street head. If you are going for price and good street set up they are good. I bought mine for 550 with new springs. sprayed mine with 125 shot of spray and worked fine but not good if building a strong race motor for strip. I sold mine instead of putting 500 in them for race port that i would never get out of them. with porting could flow what afr out of box are but very costly.

purplehaze

Reaction score
well,now is my time to start looking at all the heads available for my 95 gt. i live in south texas where everyone buys used parts for the cars. very rare anyone goes and buys 1400 heads on a weekend and sports them out. im looking for the best budget head maybe looking to spend 3-400 more than intended to.also what size of rockers.thanks guys. my setup goes as:

CAI
underdrive pulleys
70mm tb
trickflow street heat upper/lower
e303
bbk long tube headers
o/r h pipe w/ dynomax bullets
3.73s

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
if i do a combo on my daily driver it will get gt- 40p heads stock cam (or steeda 19 cam) with 1.7 and an edelbrock intake. this combo is good for 270+ rwhp and very cheap. I love the heads they are great for the price and even better if you cann get them used.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruby Stang

Staff online

Members online