Mishimoto Race thermostat

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Perusing the Mishimoto website during half-time and found that they have a “Race” thermostat that opens at a cooler temperature than the stock thermostat of theirs. I don’t believe this was available when I bought the stock version t-stat…. Or, I just flat out missed it!
I’m thinking this would help keep temps down when my stroker starts getting hot on hot days, in traffic, or while getting out through the paces?

If I do order, will flush and probably get some of their pre-mix. But what color? They don’t have green. So… yellow? Orange? Purple???

95opal

Reaction score
You can have your fan come on earlier with a tune or manual fan switch. Personally I like having manual control of the fan.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Opening of the Tstat earlier just starts the cooling process sooner is all. You have to experiment and fine tune because ideally you want the motor held in an optimal range and that could be of your choosing or by recommendation of your engine builder and certainly an engine tuner. If you're in frequent competition or just messing around in autocross or open track, you want to find what gets the motor into that optimal range and hold it there, planning for overhead do to max effort durations however long they may be.

That said, bear in mind that a Tstat that opens sooner prolongs the warm-up period and the motor is less efficient until it reaches that desired optimal range (when desired peak temp is reached and the fan kicks on and cycles back down to the lower end of that range, usually about a 20*F sweep but even that's up for grabs). And then it also depends on the pressure of the whole system. If you're running a 16 - 19 psi cap then you're kind of limited to about 230*F max before you ought to think about cooling down and/or shutting off. If you push a higher pressure, you can go higher and higher. I think F1 race engines are going 250*F and beyond. A hotter motor simply makes more power but of course to a limit.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
they make thermostats in various temp ranges that you can get from the store. Save yourself the premium that mishimoto puts on both their antifreeze and thermostat and get your parts from the store as the premium you pay for their name is not going to get you anything extra this time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruby Stang

Members online