MUSTANGMURLEY'S 1996 GT 4.6L 2V SOHC SN95 BUILD

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Hmm certainly sounds like a scraping metal on metal sound. Would have to either be brakes binding in some way or your wheel making contact with something.

Also its not uncommon for these cars e-brakes to stick a little. Does sound like its coming from the front though

OP
OP
mustangmurley

mustangmurley

Reaction score
Hmm certainly sounds like a scraping metal on metal sound. Would have to either be brakes binding in some way or your wheel making contact with something.

Also its not uncommon for these cars e-brakes to stick a little. Does sound like its coming from the front though

I think it may be the dust shield hitting the rotor it sounded like the pads were shot and it was pad to rotor when I had it out but pads are good. There's like a knuckle distance between the coil spring and the rim. I had unhooked my ebrake last year the lines were rusted and half way seized up I have new ones I just have yet to install them. May have to get a small spacer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mustangmurley

mustangmurley

Reaction score
Still haven't gotten a chance to look at the noise, but I got this in the mail yesterday
1e8cb34a322b931b9a9b8abd3ace8d87.jpg

e770da4a88b3a31a9828928a452bb4a6.jpg

OP
OP
mustangmurley

mustangmurley

Reaction score
Found the noise the brake dust shield was just slightly touching the rotor.

c8bb0c5fdd79874eef5fc90d9806fc16.jpg

Now to flush the coolant.

OP
OP
mustangmurley

mustangmurley

Reaction score
bae2a6600c44abff7f2efd7ce2e54ce0.jpg

About a week of driving on the new set up and on the way from town I hit a bump in the road and the driver side strut nut stripped right off the strut and dropped it down into the strut tower well. I got it home luckily it was just around the block from my apartment. I'm going to replace the struts. What do you recommend I want something that will be quality for a lower ride but not extremely expensive.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's wierd! looking at CC plate to fix and make it stronger?

I feel your love/pain too well. having "gone through" a 96 NPI myself, it looks like you're on the right track!

Page one made me laugh :laughing5:, you have a "short list" of things that you want to upgrade - thanks NPI, nice list BTW.... then you're like, and here's a 72 Cuda from bare metal to finished - BAM!

Nice work!

OP
OP
mustangmurley

mustangmurley

Reaction score
That's wierd! looking at CC plate to fix and make it stronger?

I feel your love/pain too well. having "gone through" a 96 NPI myself, it looks like you're on the right track!

Page one made me laugh :laughing5:, you have a "short list" of things that you want to upgrade - thanks NPI, nice list BTW.... then you're like, and here's a 72 Cuda from bare metal to finished - BAM!

Nice work!

Yeah my car has been a two year slow process from stock. The cuda and other cars I showed some pictures of are from the last couple years. My uncle is a mopar freak and is always working on a project and usually those projects take anywhere from 3-10 years because he does everything himself. He had a super BIRD that took him 15 years to finish mopar is not cheap compared to mustang parts lol but currently we are working on a 72 bee and his 68 mustang GT vert clone to Shelby. He actually just got a non rally dash for the bee down in Indy a couple weekends ago we put the blower motor and dash accessories in last week. The bee is getting close should be finished up mid summer if everything comes together smoothly!

OP
OP
mustangmurley

mustangmurley

Reaction score
3/28/2016 UPDATE...

Car has been down because of the strut nut stripping off driver side front strut. I had decided to get two new struts because the driver side was trashed from being stripped. Tore into the passenger side and realized I lost some parts from the driver side when the strut let loose

00cc241a1279334e79ee8a3540683d19.jpg

I ordered the missing parts from UPR and I should have them tonight or tomorrow. Should have ol girl back on the street later this week. I'm itching to get it back out with this nice weather!

OP
OP
mustangmurley

mustangmurley

Reaction score
Never heard of that before, what struts were you using? Was it a hell of a bump? lol

When they had been installed the strut nut was only threaded onto the strut so far before it was at the collar of the camber plate. The driver side ended up stripping when I hit the bump and this bump was like a hole in the road typical in Indiana... After impact I heard the nut drop loose and clank around and noticed that the driver side was extremely stiff luckily I was just around the block from my apartment got it there and found that the strut had shot itself back down into the wheel well and caught itself in between the coil over spring. I also lost the needle baring not and cuplet for the coil over $80 in those few parts from UPR so dumb. I tried jacking it up and getting the strut back in place but it was lodged in that coil over spring and wasn't budging and I live about 20-25 minutes away from my uncle so I couldn't drive it to work on it so I limped it across the street to a small shop and it should be back together after I am off work today.

98snakehorse

Reaction score
When they had been installed the strut nut was only threaded onto the strut so far before it was at the collar of the camber plate. The driver side ended up stripping when I hit the bump and this bump was like a hole in the road typical in Indiana... After impact I heard the nut drop loose and clank around and noticed that the driver side was extremely stiff luckily I was just around the block from my apartment got it there and found that the strut had shot itself back down into the wheel well and caught itself in between the coil over spring. I also lost the needle baring not and cuplet for the coil over $80 in those few parts from UPR so dumb. I tried jacking it up and getting the strut back in place but it was lodged in that coil over spring and wasn't budging and I live about 20-25 minutes away from my uncle so I couldn't drive it to work on it so I limped it across the street to a small shop and it should be back together after I am off work today.

Are you sure the spacing is right on top of the strut hat? Should have plenty of threads sticking out the top for the nut to drive onto. I even have a large spacer on top of mine.

neverenuff

Reaction score
Are those 12 or 14" springs? I've read the 14" banana and cause issues. As far as struts- I have Tokico blues and they are ok, in the future I'd like to switch to bilsteins

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mustangmurley

mustangmurley

Reaction score
The coil over kit is squared away now. Spacing is much better and I like the stance. I will eventually swap out struts for some adjustable because where the stock struts are at right now if I hit a decent size bump or pot hole the strut bottoms out. So that's in the works.

Just this past weekend my car threw an O2 sensor code so I looked under the car and found I've got a sensor wire that had been dragging along the ground. I ordered 4 new O2 sensors should be here today! I will be swapping all O2 sensors, changing head light bulbs because driver side went out last week too, also going to swap spark plugs, flush the coolant and install my polished overflow tank finally!

OP
OP
mustangmurley

mustangmurley

Reaction score
Currently it's still up on the lift last night I was replacing the O2 sensors and found that I lost an O2 extension plug also so I couldn't finish but it's in the mail as of this morning. After I get that last sensor swapped it's time to flush the coolant and replace the plugs. We are also making some progress on the 68 vert. A friend is painting the Shelby trunk, side scoops, and tail panel this weekend.
c24dc1f51bf8eb2ea71a198513cdbaab.jpg

83a582c85a888d14f1ef27f85fa27c66.jpg
a4bbcb8fcc36b5f3308dd21f6e5425dc.jpg

e0788205de2fafea2140caba56f8aba2.jpg

OP
OP
mustangmurley

mustangmurley

Reaction score
Fresh coolant. I test fit the polished overflow tank and it sat on the fan shroud on the back side so I'll have to find a new mounting point put the stock tank back on for now. Should have her back on the road after work today.

6e3cd8c2c1368ac26fa591da2725c374.jpg

ddf4838384868cf443bfd15abfd0a44c.jpg

OP
OP
mustangmurley

mustangmurley

Reaction score
I hate when that happens!

Right lol... It was sitting like an inch too high to mount the support rod coming from under the fan. I'm going to have to drill a couple holes like an inch to the right of where the stock overflow tank is mounted and it should clear the fan shroud.

OP
OP
mustangmurley

mustangmurley

Reaction score
Me and Deeplist pulling into the Old Fort Mustangers Club Anual Mustang Show last July.. They finally got some pictures up.

ccae553b53bd50d1605378128fdacf4b.jpg

5600e7efabd3163a98f6fd865c200468.jpg

763a0fa45c1e287296db5a45e4d2fa50.jpg

OP
OP
mustangmurley

mustangmurley

Reaction score
Started an Instagram to post pictures and videos. Planning on getting a GoPro soon too.. Any recommendations on a good GoPro model?
df0672cabe21a8f6f346f3b8bd93e3dc.jpg
e743e18c61a310ea48700858742589d6.jpg
ee2ca9770cb49fc9d825717e548f1a0c.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruby Stang

Members online

No members online now.