New Member and a Question!

mountaineer83

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum, but not to Mustangs. During college and shortly after I had a '94 GT convertible that was my full focus. It didn't have any performance mods other than 3.73 gears, buy I loved that car until I had to let it go.

Now I'm looking to get back into it, and have two that I'm looking at. One is a '95 GT with 80k miles. The other is a '02 GT with 77k miles. Both are very nice cars, but I'm torn.

I love the 5.0 cars, as I'm familiar, but a lot of my friends had the 4.6 cars as well. Both are automatic, which I know isn't the most popular choice, but that is so that my wife and others can enjoy it with my daughter if wanted.

My main question, which should I go for? The '95 is owned by an older lady who has reupholstered the seats and put a new top on it. She just yesterday took it in for a once over and to have the window regulator replaced for me, but I'm still torn before making a final decision. Any input would be appreciated!

dalpoas83

Reaction score
tough choice. I’ll be honest I am not a fan of convertibles but that’s just me. got pics ?

OP
OP
M

mountaineer83

Reaction score
I dont have any pics yet. Mine was a convertible before, so thats what I have been looking at again. This all started with looking for a Jeep Wrangler and ended up back at Mustangs.

The '95 is red, new saddle interior and black top. The '02 is Mineral Gray with Black and charcoal interior. Don't know much history on the '02. The '95 she is second owner and has had it a few years. Very nice lady. Most likely it had never been abused.

dalpoas83

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums btw. Each car has strengths and weaknesses. Some of it’s debatable i suppose. Hard to pass up a car that’s been taken good care of cause so many are not.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome (back) to the Mustang world! And I agree with dalpoas83… tough choice. Have you driven each? If so, did either one “feel” better than the other? Here’s a 2002 GT heavily modified. Not sure how crazy you’re planning, but…
1715702168160.png

OP
OP
M

mountaineer83

Reaction score
I havent driven them as they are both over 3 hours away. Our local market is flooded with junk that is overpriced or super nice originals that I can't afford!

I'm going to look at the 5.0 on Saturday. If it's as nice as she says and it looks then I'll be bringing it home. At least that's the plan.

OP
OP
M

mountaineer83

Reaction score
That would most likely be the '95 I'm going after. She had it at the dealer yesterday for diagnostics before I buy just to make sure everything is working as it should. I've been back and forth over a few, mostly because being automatic. But, I'm older now and I'll be daily driving it in nice weather. I had my fun with manuals back in the day!

Plus, I figure most automatics are not abused like the manual shifts. I wasn't easy on mine at all back in the day.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Seems to me modern-day automatics are every bit as fast (or even faster) than manuals. So no shame there. Just not as fun to drive without throwing gears!

OP
OP
M

mountaineer83

Reaction score
They also are opening the draft stripq thats like 20 minds from my house, so an auto may come in handy one day!

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
Hello from South Carolina and welcome to the forum. You asked "which should [you] go for?". IMHO there's no question; the '95 GT. If it's perfect other than the AOD-E, you can always change it over to a straight-drive. I almost didn't buy mine because of that very reason. I wanted a 5-speed and all any dealer had left in the fall of '95 was automatics. I added a TransGo shift kit, a B&M Hammer ratchet shifter, and have not looked back since. I do not regret buying the automatic at all - not one bit. Put it in "D" and just go. Good luck with whichever path you choose.

OP
OP
M

mountaineer83

Reaction score
Thank you! I picked up the '95 this Saturday. Needed a few more things than I expected, so got for a little less and all are easily fixable. Hard to find one that is cared for and low mileage anymore. It's stock as stock can be other than a reusable air filter.

Honestly, what little I've driven it, I'm not hating the automatic like I was afraid I would.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
nice find . Looks clean . It’s 29 years old so they’re always gonna need work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
highplace11

Members online