No charge from alternator to the battery 95 GT

Rascal28950

Reaction score
Ok, so I've done a draw test, showed zero, have power to the yellow on the 3G but no power from the post on the alt., or on the green wire on the 3G, I connected a fuse link on the green wire and to a constant 12v and it started charging but, yup you guessed it, it drained the battery over night, now keep in mind that I thought that maybe the Battery light on the dash was blown, but it lit up when I had it charging after adding the jumper to the green. HELP!!!!!

OP
OP
R

Rascal28950

Reaction score
Also, I have replaced the battery and am now seeing that the new battery seems to have a bad cell as well...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
a current draw test? It should show a low number, but not 0. I assume you are measure for voltage on the alt post with the car started or is it when it is turned off?

OP
OP
R

Rascal28950

Reaction score
a current draw test? It should show a low number, but not 0. I assume you are measure for voltage on the alt post with the car started or is it when it is turned off?
Did the test where you disconnect the (-) terminal and with amp meter between the post and the terminal, and got a reading of flat out zero...

07GtS197

Reaction score
What setting was the meter set on? You would get battery voltage if it was set to volts dc. Even if the car was off and the meter was set to amps, like Scott said, you’d still get a reading.

OP
OP
R

Rascal28950

Reaction score
What setting was the meter set on? You would get battery voltage if it was set to volts dc. Even if the car was off and the meter was set to amps, like Scott said, you’d still get a reading.
Just tried it again with a fresh charged battery and this is what I'm seeing

Attachments

• IMG_20240909_200439867.jpg
    IMG_20240909_200439867.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
R

Rascal28950

Reaction score
I got absolutely no power from the post when running

OP
OP
R

Rascal28950

Reaction score
With it showing that, I went through pulling every fuse in the care, one at a time, and nothing changed stayed at that reading...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am not familiar with that meter. One side the red says 10A, the other side says mA. try swapping the red lead from the left terminal to the right and moving the range down to the Ma area. You will be looking for millamps at the most if you have an entire amp being drained then we have a huge problem.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Are you trying to track a draw or check the alternator? The milliamp setting is for a current draw with the car off, doors locked and not messed with for at least 20 minutes to ensure all modules have gone to “sleep”. If you are checking for voltage with the car running keep the battery connected and put the leads on the corresponding battery leads. You will get a reading when it’s set on dc volts 2v or 20v scale. If you’re reading zero then it’s either the meter or user error.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
also I just had a thought, did you by chance try to read the current with out disconnecting the battery and just slapped the leads on the battery terminals? If so there is a fuse inside the meter that probably needs to be changed

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
If there is no power to the large stud o. The alternator, your fused link from the battery to alternator could be blown. Might be as easy as a new wire to the alternator

95opal

Reaction score
Ok, so I've done a draw test, showed zero, have power to the yellow on the 3G but no power from the post on the alt., or on the green wire on the 3G, I connected a fuse link on the green wire and to a constant 12v and it started charging but, yup you guessed it, it drained the battery over night, now keep in mind that I thought that maybe the Battery light on the dash was blown, but it lit up when I had it charging after adding the jumper to the green. HELP!!!!!
If you give us a better description of why, how and what led to your post we might track your problem quicker. Did the battery just die. How old was it. Is the alt new or old? Did you play with the dash cluster recently?

OP
OP
R

Rascal28950

Reaction score
If there is no power to the large stud o. The alternator, your fused link from the battery to alternator could be blown. Might be as easy as a new wire to the alternator
I checked continuity from end to end on the alternator post wire and it checked out good, I've got a cousin coming over today that's way more versed in all things electrical, I'll give an update this evening, thanks for all the help up to this point...

OP
OP
R

Rascal28950

Reaction score
If you give us a better description of why, how and what led to your post we might track your problem quicker. Did the battery just die. How old was it. Is the alt new or old? Did you play with the dash cluster recently?
The car had sat for 12 years not being ran at all during that time, the original reason for it sitting was due to an exhaust leak, and then life got in the way. So, new gas tank, pump, and sending unit, plugs and wires, brakes, rotors and tires, and a new battery and I was able to driver her to a shop to get the original exhaust leak fixed. Once all of that was done, she just started not charging, weirdly the two times that she seemed to be charging, when I backed her up she would just die out, and have been fighting the charging problems since then. Sorry for the long back story, trust me there is way more to story, but that's not what this thread is for...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FXTTURR

Members online