NONE of my key locks work - won't turn!

Slice

Reaction score
1996 GT vert. I've had it a couple of years. The power door locks and power trunk functions fine. However none of them will turn the key cylinder when I put the key in. So before I open up the door cards and remove the trunk trim to figure out what's going on, I thought I'd check to see if anyone else has had this problem. It's kind of odd that none of them will budge. I've had this problem since I got the car.

07GtS197

Reaction score
So your key only works in the ignition but not in the doors or trunk? Sounds like the ignition was changed at one time. They can all be rekeyed to match the ignition key though. What about the glovebox, does it work in there?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
take the ignition cylinder out of the car(do a youtube search takes 2 secs to pull out in the parking lot of the locksmith) and go to a locksmith with the key you want to make work in it. They can rekey it in about 15-20 mins and you can slide it right back in

OP
OP
Slice

Slice

Reaction score
The ignition tumbler is fine, it's both doors and the trunk. They will not turn and unlock.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Right what happened is that the ignition cylinder probably went out and they replaced it. It comes with its own key and unless you take it a locksmith to have rekeyed now the new ignition key will not fit the old door/trunk keys.

OP
OP
Slice

Slice

Reaction score
...but if I rekey the ignition the door and trunk locks still wouldn't work..?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am assuming you have the key for the doors and trunk? If so, take that key and go to your locksmith. Remove the cylinder in the parking lot(it is just that easy) and take the cylinder that will still have the key that does not match in it, and tell them you want it rekeyed to the old key that is not inside of it that works the doors. They can put new pins in it so that the new ignition will match the old key and you have one key for everything.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Presuming the locks haven’t been changed, it could be as simple as introducing some graphite power in the lock tumblers..

OP
OP
Slice

Slice

Reaction score
I am assuming you have the key for the doors and trunk? If so, take that key and go to your locksmith. Remove the cylinder in the parking lot(it is just that easy) and take the cylinder that will still have the key that does not match in it, and tell them you want it rekeyed to the old key that is not inside of it that works the doors. They can put new pins in it so that the new ignition will match the old key and you have one key for everything.
The problem is my key starts the car but will not open either door or trunk. The key slides into those locks but it's 100% resistance the tumblers won't turn. So I have no key to give to the locksmith that opens the doors.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it might take a few calls to find a locksmith that has the skills and tools to do what is called imprinting a lock to find the key.

The next option is to change every lock in the car and they make kits for it.

OP
OP
Slice

Slice

Reaction score
Grumble grumble... I guess what happened is the ignition tumbler failed so previous owner replaced it hence a new key ignition that will not open doors and trunk? Thank God for power locks!

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
FWIW, removing the ignition cylinder is super duper easy. You just need the key turned forward in the accessory position (might be best to do this with the (-) battery cable disconnected). Once turned, you'll see a round hole right beneath it, in the plastic knee shroud. It's wider than all the screw holes. Take a punch or screwdriver or whatever and press into it while gently pulling on the ignition cylinder key guard, it'll slide right out - what she said.

OP
OP
Slice

Slice

Reaction score
FWIW, removing the ignition cylinder is super duper easy. You just need the key turned forward in the accessory position (might be best to do this with the (-) battery cable disconnected). Once turned, you'll see a round hole right beneath it, in the plastic knee shroud. It's wider than all the screw holes. Take a punch or screwdriver or whatever and press into it while gently pulling on the ignition cylinder key guard, it'll slide right out - what she said.
Yeah that's great but it's not gonna help me key lock/unlock my doors.

95opal

Reaction score
Yeah that's great but it's not gonna help me key lock/unlock my doors.
I know 95 and under had a key for the doors and trunk and a separate key for the ignition. If the 96 is the same then your ignition key won't open your doors. Either get new door and trunk cylinders or have a key made for the doors.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know 95 and under had a key for the doors and trunk and a separate key for the ignition. If the 96 is the same then your ignition key won't open your doors. Either get new door and trunk cylinders or have a key made for the doors.
no 94/95 had one key, mine still does

OP
OP
Slice

Slice

Reaction score
Looks like I'll have to depend on power locks. I just liked having manual locks for when I pull the battery in the winter.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it sucks but isn't impossible to replace the locks with a kit like I said. I would say it is better than getting locked out but I have got into my car using a stick I found on the side of the road to get into my car when I did it once(true story). The way the window seals to the car makes it one of the easiest cars to jimmy. I saw a think on 60 mins once where they showed how a guy that had been practicing it could get into one side of the car with a coat hanger, as fast as the person on the other side could with the key.

OP
OP
Slice

Slice

Reaction score
it sucks but isn't impossible to replace the locks with a kit like I said. I would say it is better than getting locked out but I have got into my car using a stick I found on the side of the road to get into my car when I did it once(true story). The way the window seals to the car makes it one of the easiest cars to jimmy. I saw a think on 60 mins once where they showed how a guy that had been practicing it could get into one side of the car with a coat hanger, as fast as the person on the other side could with the key.
Well it's a convertible so even easier!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jd96gt

Members online