NONE of my key locks work - won't turn!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
same job for vert or hard top. Hardest part is just getting access to the locks. Inside of the doors you have to operate through some holes and the trunk lid results in some crazy yoga to get it out.

GTamas

Reaction score
I know 95 and under had a key for the doors and trunk and a separate key for the ignition. If the 96 is the same then your ignition key won't open your doors. Either get new door and trunk cylinders or have a key made for the doors.

they switched to the one key on the sn platform. Fox body had 2 keys.

My 94 (February) had separate ignition and outer lock keys coming from the factory. !?
I am now going to replace the ignition cylinder as it is getting worn out.

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
My 94 (February) had separate ignition and outer lock keys coming from the factory. !?
I am now going to replace the ignition cylinder as it is getting worn out.
you got it new in 94? I still remember us picking ours up late late 93. You do not forget when you are 18 and while your dad is signing the paperwork he suddenly looks at you and says "take it across the street and fill the gas tank up" and threw me the key and some cash.

If you didn't get it new, does it have the one square key for the ignition and the round one for the door or are they both square? If they are both square then you are just like him, someone replaced the ignition but didn't get it rekeyed

GTamas

Reaction score
you got it new in 94? I still remember us picking ours up late late 93. You do not forget when you are 18 and while your dad is signing the paperwork he suddenly looks at you and says "take it across the street and fill the gas tank up" and threw me the key and some cash.

If you didn't get it new, does it have the one square key for the ignition and the round one for the door or are they both square? If they are both square then you are just like him, someone replaced the ignition but didn't get it rekeyed
My mother got it new in 94, but as an import car obviously. I don't remember that the keys were ever replaced, but you may be right. They are two square keys.
20240712_132922.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea like I said the old two key systems had two different shapes so you could tell. Now if you ever get tired of having two keys you can take your car to a locksmith, take 5 secs to pop the ignition out of the car and take it to the locksmith and it takes them 10-15 mins to take the key that operates the doors/trunk to now work the ignition. To install it all you do is slide it in just like you do the key and then you can turn the key, or pull the key out and the ignition will now work with the same key that does the doors. Last time I checked it was about $35 but it has been a few years and prices have risen...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jd96gt

Members online