Random fuel shut-off while driving.

OP
OP
Jason.Silus

Jason.Silus

Reaction score
Hell yes, that pump needs to go up the shops back side.
Last time I was there, they made me sign a waiver and said he wasn't going to drop the fuel tank again because of the rust around it. At this point, I'd much rather he just give me my [expletive]ing fuel pump and a sock and I'd install it myself.

Last edited:

Notthenow

Reaction score
Hear you, too my places doing that bs. Plus, now you know what to do anyway.

OP
OP
Jason.Silus

Jason.Silus

Reaction score
Hear you, too my places doing that bs. Plus, now you know what to do anyway.
This has been the latest of a series of problems. The only reason I ever kept going back was because I had a warranty, so every time they did labor with the fuel tank, it was covered. The first time I got it back, the locking ring on the fuel sending unit was loose and spilling gas everywhere as I drove, that I didn't even realize until I started to smell it. When they replaced the sending unti and the fuel pump, the gas guage no longer works either, and the fuel sending unit probably didn't even need to be replaced. So once again, more money spent on parts that didn't need it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
This has been the latest of a series of problems. The only reason I ever kept going back was because I had a warranty, so every time they did labor with the fuel tank, it was covered. The first time I got it back, the locking ring on the fuel sending unit was loose and spilling gas everywhere as I drove, that I didn't even realize until I started to smell it. When they replaced the sending unti and the fuel pump, the gas guage no longer works either, and the fuel sending unit probably didn't even need to be replaced. So once again, more money spent on parts that didn't need it.
Some of the best on here have done that very same thing. How they handled it after the f-up is what really matters.

Notthenow

Reaction score
I remember when I started working on my son's 96 Z28. First fuel injected engine after carbed for 45 years. A lot to learn, but mostly still wrenching like always. His car needed 3 pumps due to running low fuel level and them overheating before we understood that the fuel is the coolant. Pulling the tank on that car made for interesting combinations of words.

OP
OP
Jason.Silus

Jason.Silus

Reaction score
I remember when I started working on my son's 96 Z28. First fuel injected engine after carbed for 45 years. A lot to learn, but mostly still wrenching like always. His car needed 3 pumps due to running low fuel level and them overheating before we understood that the fuel is the coolant. Pulling the tank on that car made for interesting combinations of words.
Similarly, when the return line that I didn't realize wasn't a 3/4" like the main line, wouldn't come off with the 3/4" line tool, I said a few what I call "garage words"

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
those easy to disconnect fuel fitting tools should come with instructions on how to curse at it correctly to get it to work. That and to twist while pushing...

Notthenow

Reaction score
Yep, and the fittings are always where no leverage can be applied. I have three sets of those fuel line tools trying to get one that works consistently even if I don't berate it....

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yup I have the cheap plastic, the cheap aluminum and the nice aluminum sets. Sometimes the nice aluminum works but on the other hand the cheap plastic seem to be the most reliable.

Notthenow

Reaction score
Funny, same here. I also added a piece of drip line tubing to make the lip thicker. Sometimes that helps.

OP
OP
Jason.Silus

Jason.Silus

Reaction score
Do you still have the tank dropped?

Cut access panels to your tank's two units...

I did. You or anyone else for that matter will never drop the tank again.

jus sayin
Lol, fortunately the weather said I'm not allowed to work on my car today. I covered the wholes in the gas tank and pushed it back under the car. I bought the sock at autozone, and I'm gonna try running it on the pump I have now. I'm a little worried about possible contaminants, but I think I'll be fine. It's drove probably 4 times since it's been installed.

Notthenow

Reaction score
Yeah, four times shouldn't be a problem. Either way if it is you put another pump in. Might as well try it since it's paid for.

OP
OP
Jason.Silus

Jason.Silus

Reaction score
Do you still have the tank dropped?

Cut access panels to your tank's two units...

I did. You or anyone else for that matter will never drop the tank again.
Could I get a picture for reference, and would that be through the bottom of the trunk?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes you just cut a hole directly above the tank where it connects and drops in place and then figure out some way to make a patch panel to go over it that you can remove

Notthenow

Reaction score
Access hatches are great. The SN95 tank is easily to drop compared to 4th gen Camaro, but a hatch makes it great. The s197 has two hatches stock, one for each side of the saddle tank. Just cut a hole and make a piece to fit in with screws or bolts.

OP
OP
Jason.Silus

Jason.Silus

Reaction score
Doesn't seem that hard? Fingers crossed. I believe I've got all of the tools, I'll just have to clear some garage space for better access. Not too worried about damaging the frame, it's like 80% rust in that area anyways.

Notthenow

Reaction score
It's not difficult if you are comfortable with some cutting and fitting sheet metal. My guess is you get your pump running properly and you could go years without dropping the tank. The hatch does make the job easier, and some would say to do it while it's apart already. Depends on your future plans with the car. I didn't put one on my Sn95 because I think it's easy to drop the tank....

OP
OP
Jason.Silus

Jason.Silus

Reaction score
It's not difficult if you are comfortable with some cutting and fitting sheet metal. My guess is you get your pump running properly and you could go years without dropping the tank. The hatch does make the job easier, and some would say to do it while it's apart already. Depends on your future plans with the car. I didn't put one on my Sn95 because I think it's easy to drop the tank....
I haven't had any trouble this time, as it it was running lighter on fuel already, but the first time that tank was about half full, so it made for some rough work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruby Stang

Members online

No members online now.