Replacing Drivers Window Regulator

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Hi all,

So, the car has been away for a couple of weeks having some issues it failed the UK MOT on sorted and got it back yesterday. All good. Or not...

I noticed an awful wind noise coming from the drivers side window over 40mph. Put the window down and up again and then spotted that the window didn't go up properly, kept sticking and when it does get to the top the motor keeps going whirr whirr whirr whirr if you hold the switch down.

Did some more testing and it looks like either the motor or regulator is toast. Great!

So, found a really good video on YouTube on how to replace it...

...and set about removing the door card to have a look and confirm it all matched before ordering anything.

Problem... The guy in the (excellent) video says about the 6 bolts to remove. I don't have 6 bolts. I have 2x bolts (ringed in red below) and then 4x what I assume is rivets (ringed in green) where the other 4x bolts should be...

IMG_20240921_170541276_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240921_170544695.jpg

IMG_20240921_170549514.jpg

So....

Watching the video, I assume if I can get it out I can simply replace the rivety things with bolts and all is good in a new regulator and motor mechanism.

Problem - how do I get the rivety things out safely? And what size bolts will I need?

Will order the replacement regulator and motor assembly from Rock Auto, no problem, but I need to know about the bolts to order as well and also the how-to on getting the rivets out.

Apart from that, looks a pretty straightforward job I think - maybe... :oops:

Thanks in advance all.

TMW

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you drill rivits out.

Prior to doing that I would take a peek and make sure the plastic pieces that slide up/down the sliders are still intact and in place

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Cheers.

Yes all appears good from what I've seen today.

Will get another regulator and motor ordered - annoying as I only had a rock auto delivery on Thursday - another batch of postage and import duty...

What size bolts would I need? Makes sense to get them at the same time if they have them.

TMW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruby Stang

Members online