Steeds Tri-Ax Handle On Stock Shifter Violent Vibrations At High RPM

Terrorist 5.0

Reaction score
Hello everyone, recently I bought the Tri-Ax handle off LMR to put on my stock shifter (I don’t like the clunkiness and clicking of short throw shifters). It is very nice. Throws are shortened considerably, and the positioning is basically the same as factory. However, the shifter now shakes pretty violently at higher rpms, doesn’t matter if the car is moving or not, but it is worse when moving. I know that the stock shifter material will absorb vibrations better, and the rubber surrounding it helps (I took the rubber off the stock shifter and used it on the new one), I am going to check my harmonic balancer since it is mostly RPM dependant, just to be sure, although I am 100% sure it is ok. My main question is, is anyone else running my setup, or something similar and experienced this? And how did you fix it? My next step is to check the shifter bolts themselves for tightness, and probably replace the shifter bushing when I find a quality replacement.

OP
OP
T

Terrorist 5.0

Reaction score
Check your motor and trans mounts. Was there any other work performed on your car recently?
Motor and trans mounts are new and in good shape, they are stock replacements as I don’t like a lot of NVH. No other work on the car was performed recently, although I forgot to mention that I am not running the shifter boot for easy access to the bolts holding the handle on. I’m sure this contributes a little but I can’t imagine that much.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Balancers have a life cycle. Factory rubber inside the housing will deteriorate. My personal rule is 10yr/100,000 mi all factory rubber (bushings/balancers/etc) are changed out. Polyurethane is acceptable as a stock replacement.

I recently switched from Tri Ax to the factory shifter and I much happier with it actually. Brand new ATI balancer, poly engine/trans mounts, solidly mounted rear diff and IRS subframe (which might actually get the poly treatment because it is kind of annoying at times). But surely the annoyance you're experiencing is because the Tri Ax is a direct bolt on to the trans. Can't get much more solid than that. Go back to stock, or hell even make your own, it's not hard to do.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
You mentioned transferring the rubber from the stock shifter to the new one. I just want to make sure that you are referring to rubber between the Tri-Ax shifter handle and the shifter. If not, Steeda offers an isolator kit to reduce NVH:

You might want to check out their Delrin shifter bushing:

You should double-check to make sure they will fit your specific application.

I recently installed those parts (and a Stifflers transmission mount) on my 2004 V6 (T-5). If you are interested, I cover the parts in this video: