Tried to fix my A/C by myself

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
If the system is empty, that's when you'll pay because refrigerant is $$$ on its own. But shops, at least IMO, should be pro-rating based on what's recovered from a system. Not 100% myself because I've been out of the country for over a decade and things change.

07GtS197

Reaction score
You can still do it without a machine. Many people have filled ac systems from empty without a machine and had no issues for years. I did it in my 87 Grand Marquis years back and the only issue I had was I used old o rings in the condensor fittings and so eventually refrigerant leaked out. I had discharge temps in the 40s on a hot Florida day with a mechanical radiator cooling fan. I shouldn’t have been in a rush or else I’d still have refrigerant in that system.

Miltoid

Reaction score
I'm an A/C guy. Don't jump the gun and farm it out yet. The first thing you need to do is get the cooling system operating properly. You need to fix it anyway. Overheating can cause the A/C high-side pressure to go way up. Clean the rad. and condenser fins, fix the fan and the leaks then you can start on the A/C. Next, I would watch some videos on the basics of auto air conditioning instead of going into it blind. Once you have an understanding of the workings of the system you will be more comfortable working on it. It sounds like you were on the right track. As I said overheating or an obstruction could cause high pressure. That high-side gauge has a purpose what is it reading? I agree that you don't need a machine.

Last edited:

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
OP
OP
B

brytonp10

Reaction score
I'm an A/C guy. Don't jump the gun and farm it out yet. The first thing you need to do is get the cooling system operating properly. You need to fix it anyway. Overheating can cause the A/C high-side pressure to go way up. Clean the rad. and condenser fins, fix the fan and the leaks then you can start on the A/C. Next, I would watch some videos on the basics of auto air conditioning instead of going into it blind. Once you have an understanding of the workings of the system you will be more comfortable working on it. It sounds like you were on the right track. As I said overheating or an obstruction could cause high pressure. That high-side gauge has a purpose what is it reading? I agree that you don't need a machine.
I haven't taken it anywhere because I'm waiting on the cooling fan to arrive. Can't have anyone work on it with a malfunctioning fan. The car hasn't overheated since the day it first did. The cars temps were perfectly normal both times I tried to charge the system. I've been working on this car for an entire month. I only needed to flush the coolant, flush the evaporator, and replace all lines and the compressor. While I'm at it I'm also doing water pump, tensioner, and replacing the belt. Not to mention that the cooling system still isn't flushed all the way. I have questions about that and can't find much online so I'm probably going to create another thread about it. It's still not finished and taking this much time because I've had to do a bunch of research and like I said, have no idea how to work on cars. I'm pretty slow at this stuff. The car broke down as I was learning how to drive manual. I just want to drive the dang thing haha. I'm going to leave the A/C to a shop and finish flushing the coolant on my own and finally get this thing on the road!

RedNReady

Reaction score
#1 problem, from what I read was no airflow through the condenser when operating the A/C. The heat from compressing the fridgerant has to be removed by air passing throught the condenser, otherwize it over pressures/overheats and possibly forces weak seals to fail or even damage the compressor if run too long. NEVER work A/C without being able to cool the high pressure/high temperture side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SHDOPNY

Members online