serious overheating at race speeds, 95gt

mike stevens

Reaction score
I'm blowing headgaskets on the first day of track time. No external leaks, no coolant in the oil, no oil in the coolant. Has sve aluminum rad. stewart waterpump, gutted thermostat. arp headbolts, felpro gaskets. I have a stock block and heads, stock cam.
I'm down to either a blockage in the flow, hot spot internally, airflow thru the radiator issues.
I've heard the radiator draws its air primarily underneath. Is this true? What aero mods have any of you used? I welcome any thoughts on this. I'm missing something.

Last time out, I used another short block, scored the pistons and cyl. walls on the last one.

Mike

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
do you have the air deflector under the core support? It is just an L-shaped piece of plastic but it helps to create a low pressure system behind it to help suck the heat out of the bottom of the car. If you are overheating while just idling, then it is a different problem but it it is only when moving then take a look.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
damn that’s rough . I’ve gotta sve radiator and stock fan on my car never gets above 203 even in 105* heat

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you might also check to be sure the fan is going into high speed mode and not staying low speed.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
something else you may want to try
check timing
and for the hell of it run a compression test
make sure all cylinders' are close to even
this will tell also if a gasket is leaking internal

Last edited:

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
i also in your statement a gutted thermostat
if its a open thermostat never open or close
that will run hot constantly
change it

OP
OP
M

mike stevens

Reaction score
running a used engine, compression hovering around 130 lbs. thermostat us gutted to prevent having a stuck closed one. This is a stock engine, maybe 250 hp. The class that I run requires stock engine. Can delete smog and exhaust is free.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
As he said if the coolant does not stay in the rad long enough it will just keep heating up as it cycles endlessly. I missed that in the OP, I would fix that as well asap.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Same problem a while ago. Same responses… and solid advice mind you. I swapped in a new Mishimoto radiator with brackets, upper and lower hoses and T-stat along with the lower air deflector. And the proper lb radiator cap. Only thing NOT Mishimoto is the coolant. I’m running Preston’s pre-mix + Water Wetter.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
You should have no problems cooling down the motor with that setup. However, if the track you're racing on is one of those tight/technical ones with not a lot of straight shots, cooling will then depend almost entirely on the fan.

Rod

Reaction score
Replace your Tstat. Also burp the cooling system. It is really easy to miss getting out all the air in the system. Pull the water pump and make sure the vanes are not shot.

OP
OP
M

mike stevens

Reaction score
Rod there is no thermostat, only a restrictor. new waterpump already. thorough burping the system is a definite thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scooters

Members online