Stering rack

9394stang

Reaction score
On the safe side of things since I have my motor out I'm going to replace my stering rack

I was looking at the one on LMR any one have and suggestions on this or others?

badass98svt

Reaction score
No suggestions on the rack itself, but solid rack bushings are a night and day improvement over the rubber ones.
A solid steering shaft made a good difference also.

badass98svt

Reaction score
A tighter feel in the wheel, quicker response.
The solid rack bushings made an even bigger difference though.
Our cars are 25+ years old. All the OEM rubber stuff is dried out.

That LMR has some bad reviews for leaking. I haven't researched racks in a few years now, but I'd probably search for a low mile 03-04 Cobra rack.

OP
OP

9394stang

Reaction score
Even a low mile 03 04 cobra rack whould be getting old now though but I can keep my eyes pealed

nitroram33

Reaction score
Just get a rebuilt 03/04 Cobra Rack from RockAuto and be done with it lol. You want Production Code SPR-ZM, which would be the CARDONE 222000.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just spit-balling here, but maybe you don’t have to reinvent the wheel. So what about rebuilding the OE rack with solid bushings, new seals, etc? Is that a viable option?? Or is it just easier and as cost-effective to buy an aftermarket unit?

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Just spit-balling here, but maybe you don’t have to reinvent the wheel. So what about rebuilding the OE rack with solid bushings, new seals, etc? Is that a viable option?? Or is it just easier and as cost-effective to buy an aftermarket unit?

Rebuilding requires some really specialized tools for disassembly. Not really practical for the home DIYer to buy those and rebuild their own.

The later SN95 racks are a improvement over the earlier ones with 99-04 V8 racks being the "best". 2004 would be the best year to seek with 03/04 cobras being the best after the '00R rack. I have a Cardone SPR-ZM 03/04 cobra rack on my Fox, and a Cardone SPR-ZK for a 2004 GT on my SN95 and cant tell any practical difference on the street from each other.

As for steering racks, pumps, and misc replacement parts that LMR sells, it's all part-store stuff that you can get at your local parts stores or RockAuto for better prices. The extra premium you pay is for LMR's excellent service, but sometimes it's not worth it depending on the part. LMR used to repackage the part but I've bought some stuff from there that they just sent in the original manufacturers packaging. Kinda disappointing to see a 50%+ markup on the same part I could have gotten off Amazon for $10

nitroram33

Reaction score
Just for future search result purposes, I'm going to post the below about the difference between the SPR-ZK (GM) and SPR-ZK (GT) racks in case something ever happens to SVTPerformance.com lol. In reality, there's not THAT big of a difference between the two and most people won't notice anything on the street:

I emailed Cardone to ask them and below is the reply I received. Looks like Cardone part 22-2000 is in fact built to SPR ZM specs with the upgraded torsion bars.

My original email:
Dear Sir/Ma'am, I am inquiring about the differences between two of your remanufactured steering racks for Ford Mustangs. I am looking for a steering rack for my 98 mustang cobra. I noticed that there are two part numbers listed 22-2000 (production spec SPR-ZM) and 22-238 (production spec SPR-ZK). I was wondering what are the differences in the specifications of these two racks? Are different parts used to remanufacture these racks to spec? Thank you very much for your time.

Cardone's 1st reply:
Adam, thank you for your e-mail. The difference with these two part numbers is:
22-238 - Over all length - 48 1/2"
2 1/2 turns lock to lock
22-2000 - Over all length 48 3/8'
turns lock to lock - 2 3/16"

My second email:
Thank you for the quick reply. From my research I understand that the cobra racks (22-2000) have upgraded t-bars in comparison to the other ford mustang racks. Does Cardone use cobra spec t-bars for the rebuild? Thank you for your time.

Cardone's 2nd reply:
Yes, the 22-2000 has a torsion bar that is 0.230" diameter compared to the 22238 which has a 0.212" .

Now, we also have a conversion in the system for the 22-2000 which takes a 22-233 and convert it to 22-2000.

The spool valve on the 22-233 has the smaller diameter torsion bar. That is telling me that we can not assure that the unit that you buy will have the larger torsion bar.

The torque on all of these racks (233, 238 and 2000) is close enough that you will most likely will not notice it.

The rack travel in the 22-238 is about 0.500" more than the 22-2000 which tells me that if you install a 22238 on a 222000 application the wheel will most likely rub in the wheel well.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
The rack travel is limited by the spacers installed on the rack. I've had both Cardone racks in hand and they came with two different size rack limiters mounted inboard of the inner tie rods. I removed them and installed my own limiters based on my application (the OE 91-93 limiters can clip on/off over the shaft, the Cardone limiters were essentially cut pieces of PCV tube requiring tie rods to be remove to take them off, or cutting them). WIth the limiters off, the rack travel is the same between them.

And I concur, I can't tell a difference between my SPR-ZM and SPR-ZK rack. Not worth chasing down (or paying more) for an 03/04 Cobra rack if you are having trouble finding one.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Rebuilding requires some really specialized tools for disassembly. Not really practical for the home DIYer to buy those and rebuild their own.

The later SN95 racks are a improvement over the earlier ones with 99-04 V8 racks being the "best". 2004 would be the best year to seek with 03/04 cobras being the best after the '00R rack. I have a Cardone SPR-ZM 03/04 cobra rack on my Fox, and a Cardone SPR-ZK for a 2004 GT on my SN95 and cant tell any practical difference on the street from each other.

As for steering racks, pumps, and misc replacement parts that LMR sells, it's all part-store stuff that you can get at your local parts stores or RockAuto for better prices. The extra premium you pay is for LMR's excellent service, but sometimes it's not worth it depending on the part. LMR used to repackage the part but I've bought some stuff from there that they just sent in the original manufacturers packaging. Kinda disappointing to see a 50%+ markup on the same part I could have gotten off Amazon for $10
5L5,
Is having a shop rebuild it significantly more cost effective? Or is simply time to cut to the chase and replace the rack with one of the aforementioned?

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
5L5,
Is having a shop rebuild it significantly more cost effective? Or is simply time to cut to the chase and replace the rack with one of the aforementioned?

I don’t really know of too many shops that will rebuild a rack, at least not near me.

These guys will do it, but it’s expensive.

Needless to say, I just went the Cardone route myself

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whiplash-Smile

Members online