Stuck between Coyote Gen 2 swap and Cobra V8 swap

Jman2025

Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: Not looking to get rid of my v6 for a Cobra or newer mustang just because "it's easier to buy one with it."

I'm currently at a crossroads between a Cobra v8 and a Coyote gen 2. I'd love to swap a Cobra V8, but the problem is that I'm having a very difficult time finding any at a reasonable price, and half of the ones I tend to find aren't complete or are near junk. Coyote Engines, though, are a dime a dozen for me. I find them easily and a lot of them are a pretty good prices with trannies, usually even less than cobra engines (with less Mileage too).

Both swaps will cost a pretty penny, but it seems I can get my hands on a coyote engine a lot easier. I love both engines, and I actually originally was going for a coyote swap. I know both can deliver a lot of power, which is what I'm looking for, while the coyote having the bigger upper limit. I also know one of the swaps is considerably harder and probably more costly than the other to perform.

Just wanted to hear some of opinions, since I'm personally at a standstill and undecisive about what I should do. I'm planning to begin a swap by early next year, so I got some time still to plan out.

weendoggy

Reaction score
Some here before me did Coyote swaps and I pulled from their knowledge and added my own. My link is below and there are others that have very good information. For me, the Coyote is a very good choice. I did a Gen1 and it definitely wakes up the car. It is not that hard to do. I would stay away from the MT82 and get a TKX or similar. The 3650 (if you have that) doesn't like high RPM shifts. I open track mine as well as street and it's a hoot to play with. Having the more "modern" engine is a good thing.

Snorky

Reaction score
Look for a 2005 Lincoln aviator engine. It's an aluminum block 4v c head 4.6 just like the cobra and just buy the 99/01 Cobra intake if you want the snake on jt and you're good to go. bam! Saving money. Son!

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Coyote swaps can be easy, or they can be a bitch. It just depends on how hoony you want the car to be or if you want to retain all the creature features or even add more. If you're doing most of the work yourself, you save big.

abgray56

Reaction score
Some here before me did Coyote swaps and I pulled from their knowledge and added my own. My link is below and there are others that have very good information. For me, the Coyote is a very good choice. I did a Gen1 and it definitely wakes up the car. It is not that hard to do. I would stay away from the MT82 and get a TKX or similar. The 3650 (if you have that) doesn't like high RPM shifts. I open track mine as well as street and it's a hoot to play with. Having the more "modern" engine is a good thing.
I don't see your link....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SHDOPNY

Members online