Tried to fix my A/C by myself

brytonp10

Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I don't know anything about cars and am trying to learn. I apologize if I posted this thread in the wrong area. About 2 months ago I posted a thread about my car overheating on me. It appeared that the a/c compressor was locking up which caused my water pump to slow down. Long story short, for the past month I've attempted to do everything myself because I wanted to learn how to work on cars. I also figured out that my radiator fan is shot. It makes a noise like its hitting something. I spun it by hand while it was out of the car and didn't see what it was hitting, but could definitely hear it. I also saw that part of the fan was broken.

I replaced my condenser and that went pretty smoothly. I replaced the compressor, all lines, and the drier. I flushed the evaporator. I coated all of the A/C lines' O-rings with PAG-46 so they went in smoothly. I completely drained the A/C compressor's prefilled oil. I added 4.3 oz of PAG-46 to the compressor, and another 4.3 oz of PAG-46 to the drier. I spun the A/C clutch by hand 20 times, and also saw the oil come out of the other end. I installed everything and hooked everything back together. The hardest line to attach was the drier to evaporator. I pushed as hard as I could on it, and it seemed to be connected securely. I then checked to see if the system would hold a vacuum and it did for several hours. It didn't lose any pressure at all. Then I pulled a vacuum on it for several hours as well. As I said before, my cooling fan is shot and makes a terrible noise. I took out the fans fuse so it wouldn't come on. It made sense at the time to me to do that, but not sure if it still makes sense. The car was completely cold and it wasn't hot outside so I didn't think the car would overheat (which it didn't).

I started adding my first can of refrigerant. I purged the air on the yellow line, and began to open up my low side valve. Everything seemed to be going well, and all of a sudden I had a coolant hose come off and distilled water shot everywhere. It was the lower radiator hose that's shaped like a T. It came off of my coolant reservoir. The engine block and radiator sides of the hose stayed on. Then I shut off the car and closed the refrigerant can with my adapter and removed my high and low side couplers. I came back a few days later to finish the job. I went to put on my low pressure coupler (in the closed position) and the connection between the drier and evaporator blew off and PAG oil went everywhere. It was honestly pretty frightening because I did not expect that at all. I had a very hard time trying to install the line again. Finally, it seemed to be on and secure. I did the same vacuum procedures. The cooling fan's fuse is still taken out at this time. Then I proceeded to add my first can of refrigerant to it, and the compressor kicked on and off a few times. Everything seemed to be going well. And before the can even got halfway empty, I saw smoke coming out. I'm assuming it's refrigerant and probably related to the line that blew off.

I didn't smell anything burning. It actually smelt like refrigerant. It looked like it was coming from the condenser lines but I'm not sure. I didn't wanna breathe the stuff in so I left the area. I closed my refrigerant can with the adaptor, and shut off the car and removed my high and low pressure couplers. I'm completely done with trying to repair the A/C system. I'm going to take it to a shop now, which is probably safest. I wrote all of this to see if anyone has an idea as to why my line blew off, as well as why the smoke(probably refrigerant) was coming out. I also spent a very long time just flushing the cars coolant. Flushing the coolant is another issue. It seems like almost everything has gone wrong so far, and hardly anything has gone smoothly. Now I'm just demotivated and kind of lost on this. I feel like I did so much research, work, and spent money for nothing. Does anyone have any advice they can offer me? I really appreciate anyone who read my essay. Thank you for your time.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Frustrating for sure. Sounds like you’ve really done your homework so maybe try to see if there’s a shop around, call them, go through your process to date as you described above and see if there’s anything you missed. Even the slightest little nuance can make a huge difference. Something a pro knows from experience that a novice could easily miss.

Sorry I’m not a direct help here, but I’ve been in similar circumstances before and have been fortunate to have had success this way. Good luck and keep us posted!

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
Yeah, that much in-depth AC work is more than most of us attempt. Unless you actually know what you're doing it's a pain for sure. I have a mobile AC tech that I call for most problems, as I know I don't have the tools or experience.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge chimes in.

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You sure you didn't remove that coolant hose or knock it loose during work. Car isliand you filling ac system should not have anything to do with the ac system.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
The important thing is that
1) you didn't get hurt
2) you are taking the car to an A/C shop

I say this because having worked around seasoned A/C technicians both in military and in automotive, I know 100% that you never, ever use A/C cans to charge up a system. I honestly think those handhelds should be banned and done away with. A/C carts like Robinaire etc are the only way to go. Any time I need A/C work on the car, I punt to the people that do it every day for money and have the best equipment to do it with.

OP
OP
B

brytonp10

Reaction score
You sure you didn't remove that coolant hose or knock it loose during work. Car isliand you filling ac system should not have anything to do with the ac system.
I know why it came loose. I just made a big rookie mistake and didn't put the clamp on. The reason is because I figured that I wouldn't be running the car for long, and I couldn't find room to fit my pliers in there to squeeze the clamp on. I figured I'd just run to the store in the morning and purchase a worm drive clamp for it. Lesson learned...

OP
OP
B

brytonp10

Reaction score
my question is did you run the engine without the fan relay/ fuse
fan wont come on and overheat
I don't have the thermostat in because I took it out to flush the cooling system. It was also not hot outside and the car was completely cold. I figured it wouldn't overheat because I wasn't going to run the car for very long anyways.

07GtS197

Reaction score
You need the fan to work to properly refill the ac. If there is no airflow across the condensor your head pressure will skyrocket causing the high pressure switch to cut off the compressor. You won’t be able to fill it.

OP
OP
B

brytonp10

Reaction score
You need the fan to work to properly refill the ac. If there is no airflow across the condensor your head pressure will skyrocket causing the high pressure switch to cut off the compressor. You won’t be able to fill it.
Oh gotcha. That makes sense to me. Still don’t know how to explain the smoke that I saw.

OP
OP
B

brytonp10

Reaction score
Are you sure it was smoke or could it be refrigerant?
I mentioned in the post that I wasn’t sure. I don’t understand how it wouldn’t be refrigerant. I didn’t see anything burning nor smelt anything burning. I’m leaning toward it being refrigerant because it looked like it was coming from the condenser. But not positive because I left the area pretty quickly.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I mentioned in the post that I wasn’t sure. I don’t understand how it wouldn’t be refrigerant. I didn’t see anything burning nor smelt anything burning. I’m leaning toward it being refrigerant because it looked like it was coming from the condenser. But not positive because I left the area pretty quickly.
Gotcha, yeah that’s probably what it was then. Are you still going to try to fix it yourself or have a shop do it?

OP
OP
B

brytonp10

Reaction score
Gotcha, yeah that’s probably what it was then. Are you still going to try to fix it yourself or have a shop do it?
I don't even know all the way yet, I'm still a little lost on all of this crap. I'm leaning toward taking it to a shop. I still have no idea why the refrigerant was leaking out. It held a perfect vacuum for 2 hours.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
To do a real test, vacuum and then pressure should be done. Not a lot of loners have the capability to pressurize a system prior to charging. It's a dead simple thing to do but of course you need the equivalent of a pressurized scuba tank and the lines, etc. You're essentially just forcing air through the system. That'll reveal things like unsecured Springlocks which seems to be what happened to your session at some point. It's one of the reasons all my Springlocks have those safety retainers on them. Usually the click you hear during a good Springlock engagement is quite enough, but hey, they make those safety retainers for a reason.

I'd say let a shop do it.

OP
OP
B

brytonp10

Reaction score
To do a real test, vacuum and then pressure should be done. Not a lot of loners have the capability to pressurize a system prior to charging. It's a dead simple thing to do but of course you need the equivalent of a pressurized scuba tank and the lines, etc. You're essentially just forcing air through the system. That'll reveal things like unsecured Springlocks which seems to be what happened to your session at some point. It's one of the reasons all my Springlocks have those safety retainers on them. Usually the click you hear during a good Springlock engagement is quite enough, but hey, they make those safety retainers for a reason.

I'd say let a shop do it.
Gotcha. Thanks for the advice. Yeah I’ve decided that I’m for sure just going to take it to a shop.

07GtS197

Reaction score
As a caveat, a vacuum is much different than what the system pressure even at ambient temp. System off at an ambient temp in the 80s, you could have static pressure around 100 psi. And when it’s running the high side can be 200+ given a high enough ambient temp. Think about that. I think taking it to a shop is a wise choice. No offense but messing with an ac system is not for a layman.

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
As a caveat, a vacuum is much different than what the system pressure even at ambient temp. System off at an ambient temp in the 80s, you could have static pressure around 100 psi. And when it’s running the high side can be 200+ given a high enough ambient temp. Think about that. I think taking it to a shop is a wise choice. No offense but messing with an ac system is not for a layman.
Nothing wrong with learning though. I am in the process of redoing mine in my 2000 powerstroke. Just waiting on all the parts and tools. I did the same to my old truck in 2017 and have no clue what I'm doing....lol . All new parts. Install everything, pull a vacuum. Let it sit over night make sure no leaks. Using a scale and gaugeings start adding refrigerant .

07GtS197

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with learning though. I am in the process of redoing mine in my 2000 powerstroke. Just waiting on all the parts and tools. I did the same to my old truck in 2017 and have no clue what I'm doing....lol . All new parts. Install everything, pull a vacuum. Let it sit over night make sure no leaks. Using a scale and gaugeings start adding refrigerant .
I agree, I wasn’t trying to push the op to not do it himself but it seems like that’s the way he was going. I think it would be a good thing to learn as shops gouge when it comes to ac work. When it comes to getting everything working optimally is when it gets tricky.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SHDOPNY

Members online

No members online now.