What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Discovered there's a hole in the radiator. Great. Explains why the serpentine belt has been squealing - was fine, got to temperature, water started going onto the belt and squeal.

Couldn't find one here in the UK at a sensible price or available quickly (suspect all are ordered in from the USA) so ordered one from rock auto. Due to arrive here Tuesday and with shipping and taxes still cheaper and quicker than UK suppliers.

Then to fit it but YouTube makes it look easy enough.

TMW

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Discovered there's a hole in the radiator. Great. Explains why the serpentine belt has been squealing - was fine, got to temperature, water started going onto the belt and squeal.

Couldn't find one here in the UK at a sensible price or available quickly (suspect all are ordered in from the USA) so ordered one from rock auto. Due to arrive here Tuesday and with shipping and taxes still cheaper and quicker than UK suppliers.

Then to fit it but YouTube makes it look easy enough.

TMW
Bummer to hear about that. The hood part is, the repair is very straightforward and is one of the simplest repairs on these cars.

The most difficult part of the job is making sure you have all the air out of the cooling system.

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Bummer to hear about that. The hood part is, the repair is very straightforward and is one of the simplest repairs on these cars.

The most difficult part of the job is making sure you have all the air out of the cooling system.
Cheers.

Yes it's definitely a lot easier than the same task in my old Jaguar X-Type...

TMW

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Finally got round to removing the sticky ughy stuff where I removed the side bump strips from the door.

Drivers side was a right c... and took almost 2 hours to clear off and I discovered that the door has been repainted in the past - and the bump strip was on at the time so that's another issue to think about... I've had the car over 7 and a half years so it happened a long time ago.

Passenger side was worse to look at as more gunk remained but I cleared that one in 10 minutes. Not because I knew what I was doing now but because it just came off a lot lot easier.

Another task off the list.

Radiator next... Oh, and rear view mirror as that fell down on Friday too ffs.

TMW

weendoggy

Reaction score

GTamas

Reaction score
Wow! You can use the same plate for multiple cars? What a concept. ;)
Up to 3 cars under same plate. Has the advantage that we pay vehicle tax only for the one with the most hp. And that highway fee is paid on the plate, not the car. Disadvantage not much, only that you are not allowed to park in public without a plate.

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Re-attached the rear view mirror metal support thing to the windscreen. Held it for quite a while - it's solid, but not re-mounting the mirror until Friday so it can really set well.

TMW

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Changed the radiator.

Not a bad job really. Including the rusted bolts, stuck filler cap and no fan mounting screws took 2 hours. Had no issues been encountered I reckon 45 minutes tops.

But all done and good now.

Next, wash and vac. The car, not me...

TMW

joemomma

Reaction score
Bought an OBD-I code reader. My heap decided to throw a check engine light. Haven't dug in to it yet.