Blown head gasket?

Ethan95 5.0

Reaction score
So recently I replaced my intake manifold. I drove it fine with no issues for a month. It started smoking (burning coolant on the engine block) so I thought I did a poor job on the rtv on the back of the manifold. So I just took of my manifold and found both gaskets broken. I also found a spot where i found a tan milkshake like substance.(I will add a picture in a reply to this thread to where I found the mixture.)

I went ahead and drained to oil and found coolant in my sump. I also drained my coolant and noticed it was very dark. I pulled all my spark plugs as well and they look questionable. (I will add a picture in a reply to this thread.)

Before this I also noticed a small oil leak coming from somewhere underneath my car. I believe it’s from my crank case seal. I’m like 90% sure as I saw it leaking from there and the oil is all over the underneath of my car.

OP
OP
Ethan95 5.0

Ethan95 5.0

Reaction score
So recently I replaced my intake manifold. I drove it fine with no issues for a month. It started smoking (burning coolant on the engine block) so I thought I did a poor job on the rtv on the back of the manifold. So I just took of my manifold and found both gaskets broken. I also found a spot where i found a tan milkshake like substance.(I will add a picture in a reply to this thread to where I found the mixture.)

I went ahead and drained to oil and found coolant in my sump. I also drained my coolant and noticed it was very dark. I pulled all my spark plugs as well and they look questionable. (I will add a picture in a reply to this thread.)

Before this I also noticed a small oil leak coming from somewhere underneath my car. I believe it’s from my crank case seal. I’m like 90% sure as I saw it leaking from there and the oil is all over the underneath of my car.
IMG_2239.jpegIMG_2238.jpeg

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
If any cylinder is impressively clean compared to others, that could be a sign of coolant in the combustion chamber as the water getting in will actually steam clean it. Cylinders and piston tops should be fairly sooty.

weendoggy

Reaction score
You can still do a compression and leak-down test if you haven't pulled the heads. If it was fine before you did the intake, chances are it got messed up. If all is good, I'd clean the surfaces, make sure you have the correct intake gasket, put a nice 1/4" bead of silicone on the wall ends as well as a nice "finger swipe" of silicone around the water ports front/rear and the bottom of the intake where it contacts the walls, put the intake gasket in place and put another dab of silicone in the corners of the intake/wall, let it sit for at least five minutes, put the intake on, torque the bolts, and then WALK AWAY! Come back the next day to button up. I've done this my entire life and never yet had an intake leak. The key is to let the silicone setup completely. jmo ;)

If you're going to leave that open for a bit, make sure you tape the heads or put rags in each hole. Don't need to drop "stuff" in them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeanfltns01

Members online