"New" SVE 170/185 heads

9394stang

Reaction score
Well either way there a cheap price and should flow better than a set of gt40 heads and cut the weight down to half.

Buy the time a guy buys a used set of gt 40s and has them gone threw with new springs for probably 300 more he can get these heads.
I hope they flow as well as they say.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Technically any off-the-shelf cylinder head should be gone through by a machine shop to verify proper assembly. I've heard of TFS and AFR heads needing attention even out of the box.

I had to throw new springs at my TFS170's to match the camshaft I selected.

No mattery which way you look at it, scope creep is real. I started my build off by collecting a set of GT40P heads and a TFS1 cam and ended up going a completely different route.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
The likelyhood of issues goes down with the higher end head, but with the SVE being a budget option, the head should be disassembled and various things should be inspected like valve guides properly installed, valves properly seating, the deck actually being flat, etc.

I had a lawnmower where I needed to replace the engine under warranty with 9 hours on it because the valve guide in the head wasn’t installed right.