What to hamster for 5.0 car?

GTamas

Reaction score
Next week I am going to check out a 95 5.0 GT that is being parted out.
I am going to buy a cobra upper and lower intake manifold because shovel convinced me about it on YouTube :) , but I am not planning any other engine mod for now. Definitely nothing that would require to modify the stock tune.

Is there any part (from the whole car, not just engine related) that would be worth to hamster because they are known to fail?

There are also these parts being sold, but I think all of them would require tuning the ECU, or even whole new EC-system?

Ford racing x2 heads
24lb-s injectors
80mm throttle body
80mm BBK CAI + MAFlégtömeg (I'm not interested in the CAI)
Ford racing E303 cam
Magnaflow exhaust (maybe tune is not needed for a muffler, but I don't know if its just a muffler or maybe an X or H pipe, too.)

Here's the intake I'm going to buy:
IMG_20230918_092753.jpg
IMG_20230918_131721.jpg

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Distributor if it's an original Ford unit with Ford PIP and TFI. The Parts store remans are just terrible.

TBH, any original Ford sensors and electronics would be worth snagging and sticking in a box. Same reason. Quality for new electronics has gone downhill.

94-95 spindles are very in demand.

shovel

Reaction score
I wouldn't do a 80mm throttle body on a street driven car it's hard to modulate part throttle with that big an opening. Dynos and drag strips sure.. parking lots become a bit jerky and no real benefit in driving anywhere that's not a drag strip.

From my own experience if you decide at any point that you need to start tuning, skip anything to do with the oe computer and go straight for a modern computer like holley or one of the megasquirt platforms and wideband oxygen sensors. It's not that expensive and it skips a lot of wasted time trying to force the 30 year old computer to learn new tricks.

I'd be snagging those heads if the money isn't a problem for you. If it has a good performance midpipe and the price is reasonable it might be worth picking up just for weight savings, the factory one is extremely heavy and most would agree not the easiest breathing thing. There are no downstream oxygen sensors on these cars so a different midpipe (catted or not) does not significantly affect tuning.

OP
OP
GTamas

GTamas

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips!
The heads are $ 1350 for the pair, but I don't want to take the engine apart any further than the intake. It would put me on a road of mods that I am not ready to walk with this car. At least not yet.
( If i replace the heads, then I need new pushrods and rockers, then why not add a cam? And headers. Then I need a holley system, then upgrade the fuel system... It would be a great project with fun results, but I have other plans with this car, to keep it as a mostly stock cruiser in good shape)
I will sure skip the TB, CAI and injectors, too.

I'll check if I can hamster some sensors and the distributor if it's original.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Question: If you’re not going into the internals for mods(rotating assembly, cam, etc), why spend the $$ on the upper and lower Cobra intakes? Especially if you’re leaving the stock tune. The bang-for-buck factor seems anemic. Just asking…

shovel

Reaction score
Question: If you’re not going into the internals for mods(rotating assembly, cam, etc), why spend the $$ on the upper and lower Cobra intakes? Especially if you’re leaving the stock tune. The bang-for-buck factor seems anemic. Just asking…
Wasn't anemic for me.

OP
OP
GTamas

GTamas

Reaction score
Wasn't anemic for me
+ I can get it now for $650 locally without shipping or taxes (which would be additional $ 300-400 if I bought from the US). It is within my budget to save for a winter-project.
I think the prices on eBay & co will just get higher and there aren't going to be many cobra engines parted out over here I guess.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely then, go for it! Definitely make a good winter project. Let us know how it comes out! Cheers.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Wasn't anemic for me.

Same. When i put a Cobra intake on my stock 5.0, i definitely felt it pull harder over 300RPM.

That same intake is now ported with Al heads and cam. Very fun on the street lots of torque.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I detected a bit of a contradiction on GTamas’ initial post. I interpreted “adding upper and lower intakes” as throwing a lot more air down the gullet. Then he says he doesn’t want to mess with the stock tune. Seems like a contradiction is all.

Not here to argue (more like saving him from spending senselessly), but if he IS going to add all those other “go fast” goodies, a stock tune isn’t going to maximize all those dollars spent on upgrades... Especially with a 80mm TB.

That being said… if he IS aware and willing to modify the tune after installing all these parts, then it’s a moot point and the issue remains at his contradiction of project plans.

Of course I/we wish him the best and are excited for him. Will be anxious to hear he final decisions and direction this project goes. Best of luck GTamas and pics please!!

Cheers!

OP
OP
GTamas

GTamas

Reaction score
I guess I detected a bit of a contradiction on GTamas’ initial post. I interpreted “adding upper and lower intakes” as throwing a lot more air down the gullet. Then he says he doesn’t want to mess with the stock tune. Seems like a contradiction is all.

Not here to argue (more like saving him from spending senselessly), but if he IS going to add all those other “go fast” goodies, a stock tune isn’t going to maximize all those dollars spent on upgrades... Especially with a 80mm TB.

That being said… if he IS aware and willing to modify the tune after installing all these parts, then it’s a moot point and the issue remains at his contradiction of project plans.

Of course I/we wish him the best and are excited for him. Will be anxious to hear he final decisions and direction this project goes. Best of luck GTamas and pics please!!

Cheers!
Thanks for taking care :)
I am not going to buy those other parts I listed (like the TB and heads and cam). Just add them for information what else they offer from the same car being parted out. It was probably confusing, I admit.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for taking care :)
I am not going to buy those other parts I listed (like the TB and heads and cam). Just add them for information what else they offer from the same car being parted out. It was probably confusing, I admit.
It’s all good. Bottom line: I was just trying to look out for you! Good luck with the rest :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online